What sex is my frog?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaclyndaniel

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have had my frog for a while now since it was really small. It is now about 12 months old and I have researched for ages what the small signs are for male/female. It doesnt make a sound, not a croak, a sigh or anything. It is an inch and a half long round a bouts. I have been told males have yellow colouring under the legs and throat and they croak. Ive been told that females have a purple colouring to their legs, white throats and they make sighing noises.
Mine makes no noise and has white all over it and have pink bits on its legs but I think all frogs do.....

Here are some pics if more is needed for different body bits let me know.
S6300368.jpgS6300367.jpgS6300377.jpgS6300370.jpgS6300372.jpg

i'm no frog expert but at that size i would be unsure if its mature which could explain lack of croaking. I keep eastern sedge frogs and the way i have found to sex them is by body size, males are more slender then fems and the males have a bit more of a pouch on their throat compared to females

During breeding season males will develop dark, rough pads on their hands which are used to cling onto the female during mating, which can be another sign to look for. As your frog is 12 months old, does not appear to have these dark pads and you say that it is definitely not croaking, I would think it's more likely to be a female. I too am no frog expert but all of my male frogs were croaking loudly well before the age of 12 months.

Because he is the only frog I have in that enclosure. Do males stil develop that dark pad on the feet even if there are no females or other frogs around him. And if its a female, is she going to get alot bigger?

Yep they will still develop the pads and croak etc. Females do usually get bigger than males, but it is always different with each individual.

Awsome so its a girl!! I always thought it was a boy so I called it speckles. But becuase its a girl, Hello..... Sprinkles haha
Thankyou for all the help you have given me :)

Yeah they can be such a pain to sex. Judging by the size only really works if you know the age and have one the same age to compare.

I only have two types at the moment the GTF and the spotted marshies
I cant wait to get more

Where you from? Frogs seem to be at a shortage at the moment. I have found a few new morphs despite this.

Im in the Gawler Area, I know what you mean about the shortage but good thing people are starting to sell enclosures. I reckon its going to be red eyes or white lipped next.

Well careful with white lipps they are tricky things and from what I gather so are red eyes, very sensitive frogs. I would suggest Red Eyes as White Lipps are so jumpy and need a very large enclosure.

Yeah I love their legs. But you will probs not find them for a while. Tell you what go down to fish bowl and pond and pick up some Brown Tree frogs they are 3 for 30 there and they are easily pleased

Another method to definately make sure he is male is to youtube some videos of GTF croaking etc. Play it loudly near him and it should get him going.

As for Red Eyes I have owned them in the past. Had them from tadpoles and kept them for around 3 years before selling them. Found they had this whole act in pretending they were invisible. They wouldn't move all day or all night until every light in their room was completely out. Then you could come back literally 30 seconds later and they would be going mad exploring and jumping around etc. Turn the light back on and they would freeze mid motion. Great frogs but are a handful to handle.

My personal favourites are Litoria splendida. Bit larger than GTF in my experience and way more energetic with a bit more personality. Quite expensive and difficult to get hold of them though, atleast when I got them.

Dainty's in my experience were pretty dull, would be better off with Red eyes for a smaller frog if you still wanted something green.

As Dannyboi said Brown Tree frogs are great, plenty of energy at time. I used to have a couple sharing a home with some gillens from memory.

Have you considered aquatic/terrestrial frogs? Spotted or Striped marsh frogs are great entertainment though, although my rather horny males were often known to drowning other frogs both male and female, from er mounting them backwards and drowning them so I learnt. They are also great as they spend most of the time in the water swimming and floating around given a large and deep water section.

Michael

I will do that danny boi, are they taken care of just the same as green tree frogs?
Where is fish bowl and pond? ive never heard of it

---------- Post added 11-Jan-11 at 09:51 PM ----------

Hey guys,
I will definately have a go with the utube thing, thats going to be interesting.
Im also looking into red eyes now. A question with them, ive seen some which have blue underneath on the net, where do I find these?
I have some spotted marshed which are above in another post, they are so funny to watch.
Whats the difference between gtf requirements and brown tree frog requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back