What size heat mat should I be looking at for a 4ft Vivarium?

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by burningfyra, Mar 25, 2020.

1. burningfyra

burningfyra Not so new Member

Im starting to set up my woma's adult enclosure as I know they grow like weeds. I currently have the click clack set up with a 10 watt heat mat covering a third of the bottem but what size should I be aiming for with my 1.2 meter by 60cm enclosure? 20 watt seems a common size with heat mats in the 40cm by 30cm range. Do you think that will likely suffice with creating a large enough gradient in an enclosure that large?

here's a pic of the little dude
    RxRBK5i (2).jpg

Bl69aze likes this.
  2. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

My maths maybe wrong here but, you will be better off with a “8.64m” (probably 8 or 9m) heat cord spaced 2.5cm apart, will give you exactly a 3rd coverage, then covered with a tile or a 10mm thick piece of wooden board, and then covered by a light substrate :)

Obviously you need a thermostat if you don’t have one

Heat mats aren’t really “safe” for wooden enclosures”

3. burningfyra

burningfyra Not so new Member

I might still look at heat cord options but I was able to get one of the Reptile one melamine enclosures at staff discount as I work at a petstore and it is one of the models with a glass bottom on one side so you have the option to run a heat mat safely. From my reading woma's seem to love the belly heat more so I thought going for the heat mat option might be better as it will save me running as many cables into the enclosure.

4. CF Constrictor

CF Constrictor Not so new Member

Hi burningfyra
    I use a 7 metre , 50 w heat cord spaced 3cm apart, to heat a well insulated wooden enclosure with a glass floor, measuring 900 x 550 x 450mm. I live in an area that gets down to -8 or -10 overnight in winter and run it through a dimmer switch and can get correct temps all year round. Though a thermostat would probably be better, it works perfectly. Hope that was of some use to you. Good luck.

Bl69aze and burningfyra like this.