What small dog do you recommend?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcloughlin2

Reaction score
My girlfriend has recently asked for a dog for her birthday. I've done a fair bit of research into it and cannot really find some good first hand advice as to what dog would be suitable.

Ideally it would need to be small. No larger then a cat as it would be a part indoor dog. Shes not really keen on maltese or ****zu's as she thinks they are ugly.

So what dog would you recommend? Basically what have you found is easy to train, has good overall behaviour and isn't snappy.

Another thing I've noticed is it seems people think breeding dogs is a way to make money. I've seen mutts that would have sold for $80-100 5 yrs ago being sold for $600. I mean whats going on? I've raised puppies and it doesn't cost that much for food and expenses.

If anyone has puppies/puppy for sale let us know. I'm not willing to spend over $200.

Thanks

i would have suggested a Low Chen but they are hard to come by and quite pricey

I would say as Sausage Dog but i dont no how much they are to buy. Im not much help for you mate.

if i were you id go a a cockerspaniel though im not a fan of little dogs :p

well, dogs these days can be expensive, well over $200, i guess you should try the local paper? that might be ur best bet. people can list a bunch of good small dogs, but will cost a fair bit more.. also need to consider all their shots and worming, registration, obedience training, microchipping ect..
Good luck..
how long have you got to find one?

you could get a foxy for $200. but buying the dog is the cheap part , you got rego , needles micro chipping, vacinations , maybe desexing a $200 dog turns into a $1000 very fast.

ive always wanted a french bulldog but there $2000 +

Only "small" breed of dog im particularly keen on is the beagle, provided its cared for and trained properly.

one thing you could try are local rescue places, they often have small breed puppies in there. the RSPCA I know makes sure the dogs pass a type of personality test to see if they are suitable for rehoming, so you know you wont get a highly aggressive dog etc. Worth a try; usually not as expensive as buying off a breeder and your giving a dog a second chance :)

get a jack russel. heaps of personality, doesnt dig holes in the back yard :D well mine doesnt anyway, and they look pretty cool. pm me if u want pics

If you go to Paddy's Markets they sell animals there and my sister bought a maltese/foxy about 4 years ago and havn't had any problems with him (contrary to popular belief:p). Quite cute dogs too

just as a note on fox terriers and jack russels.. and a lot of other terrier type dogs; they are often yappers, many are escape artists and they have soo much energy! if trained properly I dont think theyd be problems though.

goodluck :)

miniature fox terriers are great so are cocker spaniels and such. you should be able to find them in the trading post or on internet classifieds easily.:)

You could get one of these lol........

Attachments

• HairlessRatDogs.jpg
    HairlessRatDogs.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 127
We used to breed Australian Terriers - they are a great small dog. Not as hairy either.

most of the dogs suggested aren't inside dogs, terriers, sausage dogs, cockers and beagles are all breeds bred for hunting and chasing and although are very attachted to their people and want to be with you all the time are not 100% inside dogs they need a lot of excerise and stimulation to keep them pccupied. by inside dog i'll assume apartment or small yard situtaion, i would suggest the following:
pomeranians
paplions
pugs
maltese
shih-tzus
toy poodles
chihuahas
cavaliers
italian greyhounds
silky terriers
bichon freise
or any crosses between the above, in terms of perosnalities you described a lot of that is traning esp snappiness, many people associate small dogs with snappines this is 95% of the time because the dog has not been trained, has been teated basically like a human baby or abused. i must also say your price range is not realistic, if you want quality breeding for starters you get what you pay for also remember puppies should be sold microchipped and with their 1st vacination the vet bills for the breeder to have this done plus feed the pups would approach this figure so they will cost more with this included.

check this site out also, it has a quick questionarie that gives you a list of suggested dogs and contains breed profiles, very helpful
www.dog.com.au

If you want a smallish dog, thats not a yapper, not a 'nut case' (like many terriers can be), and have calm, placid natures, you can't beat a Cavalier. That will be my next dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back