What snake is this? Located in South East QLD

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglecarpet

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This little guy was spotted this morning at the back of my work and wanting to clarify what it is... the only thing I can see that is close is a yellow faced whip snake... but it does not have the black tick underneath the eye

Thanks for your help!!

Snake.jpg

Yellow-faced Whipsnake, without a doubt. Beautiful creatures.

Jamie

And quick as a flash if you try and catch them! I see them on the lawn here often in the summer, and they're just so fast!

Jamie

Could I ask what you guys used to make this ID? Not that I don’t believe you but I’m assuming there’s at least one or two specific features that gave it away?

Sax brother you gotta get out in the field more often very common, very obvious to the trained eye! When i was young thats all i could find in my area.. Big eyes, yellow face, white ring round the eye with dark patch just under the eye, super super super quick.. my mate got bitten buy one not long ago, knocked him round a bit swollen arm, swollen face it was hilarious!

As lexy1 says, and the tendency towards a reddish tinge on the forebody and rear end. They tend to be a bit duller on the east coast, but in WA they can be really bright green in the middle and orange at each end, probably one of the prettiest snakes in WA. (Have to say I'm not sure if the WA snakes have been differentiated from those over here at this time - keeping up with the taxonomy can be tough sometimes :)!

Jamie

The colour is pretty typical as well from what I have seen.

Could I ask what you guys used to make this ID? Not that I don’t believe you but I’m assuming there’s at least one or two specific features that gave it away?
Except question and one that should not need to be asked. If you ID a snake then you should explain as to why you think it is of that particular species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back