What Snake is this - Perth

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanRo

Reaction score
What Snake is this - Perth

Hi

I found this snake in my bathroom under the vanity.

You can't tell from the picture but it was about 15 cm long. This was in Perth - I live across bush land. The colours are yellow and black.

Is it poisonous?

Thanks

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 237
Its hard to see from the photos however it looks like a Jan's Banded Snake (Simoselaps bertholdi) - harmless. Cheers

You've got yourself a Jan's Banded Snake Simoselaps bertholdi. They are technically venomous (they have fangs and venom glands) but they hardly ever bite and when they do they barely break the skin. If they did the venom is unlikely to effect you. Just to be safe though don't get bitten. People can have have an allergic reaction (similar to hardcore allergies like peanut, bee-sting or shellfish) that can kill you!

These guys are burrowing snakes that feed primarily on the tiny burrowing skinks like [Hemiergis quadrilineata[/i] and Lerista elegans (see photos below).

Just let it go in the nearby bushland. I live in Scarborough and have seen them down in the coastal dunes between the sea and the housing. I've also found them in regions of sandy banksia scrub.

Other photos of this neat species are here:

Jan's Banded Snake - Simoselaps bertholdi Photo Gallery by Henry Cook at pbase.com

Thanks

Thanks. Good to know it's harmless. I let it go in the nearby bush.

Good on you. You're lucky to have them in the area. Do you get any other herps locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back