what snake is this???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkangel

Reaction score
went to an indoor play centre in brisbane and as we came out this lil feller was outside the door. just wondering if anyone knows what it could be?

Attachments

• snake 008.jpg
    snake 008.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 240
Tropidonophis mairii
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Keelback

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Reptilia
Order: Squamata
Suborder: Serpentes
Family: Colubridae
Genus: Tropidonophis
Species: T. mairii
The Keelback (Tropidonophis mairii) is a non-venomous snake found throughout Northern Australia; it is also known as the freshwater snake. It resembles two venomous snakes, the Taipan and the Rough-scaled snake, and this has obviously assisted its evolution. It rarely grows over one metre and feeds mainly on amphibians and small lizards. It is also one of the only snakes that can eat Cane Toads, up to a certain size, without effect.
It is not to be confused with Amphiesma vibakari ruthveni, which is called the Asian Keelback or Japanese Keelback. Also not to be confused with the keelbacks' of the genus Rhabdophis
[edit]

if its a keelback then we should have more of these fellas around since they can eat canetoads seems like a really good way to introduce it too
be a good pet if we could get canetoads shipped to melbourne haha

a few more pics i took before letting it go.

Attachments

• snakess 004.jpg
    snakess 004.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 87
  • snakess 010.jpg
    snakess 010.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 87
if you ever want a keelback identified,APS is the place :) loreal scales get spotted a mile away

lol true true. i never new what they were and i still can't see them in the last 2 pics although i think i know what i'm looking at in the first pic lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back