What Snake is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sezza

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what snake this is? My Uncle (in Ipswich, QLD) was bitten by it a few days ago - went to the hospital and all is ok, but they arent sure on what the snake is. I thought it was a Tree Snake but I dont think he believes that. So any other ideas? Ths is the only photo I was given.
427770_10151317473772423_1742952850_n.jpg

I thought Common Tree Snake, the yellow lower colouring contrasting the olive on top of the head and you can just make out the banding on the body. The slender tail draped over his wrist was the clincher. They really are beautiful snakes and always look so elegant.

It is a Common Tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulatus) - entirely harmless. In addition to what Gruni mentioned,they also have a particularly large eye and a flattish head that is only slighltly wider than the neck.

Blue

Thanks Blue, I tried to just point out the indicators that were really clear in the pic but it was late last night and I was a bit tired and didn't think of the head shape and I didn't realise about the eye size. I think this pic that was taken by one of the members when I first joined the site is great for seeing all the identifiers.

CTS_zps161dc3c9.jpg

Last edited:
Gruni,
I was struggling to find useful ID features that you had not covered. Lol.

Blue

PS.That is a beautiful looking specimen in the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back