What Snake is This????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazann

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My dog found this small snake in our back yard this morning, and I have never seen one like it.
I am assuming that it is a juvenile, and that it may be a venomous snake.
I have 8 children who love to run around our yard, so, if anyone can shed some light on what species of snake we have breeding in our garden, I would greatly appreciate it!
I will attempt to attach a pic of it, but in the event I can't (not very P.C literate!) then here is a description:

Approx. 1 ft long
Dark brown to black body
Cream coloured head, with a large dark brown/black portion on the top of it's head

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kazann

Attachments

• DSC00144.jpg
    DSC00144.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC00143.jpg
    DSC00143.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00142.jpg
    DSC00142.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 92
Looks like a golden crowned snake. Venomous but not considered dangerous. Is it still alive?

Hi Gordo,
Unfortunately, our dog (puppy actually) had a hold of it when we found them. It had a mortal puncture wound on it body.
It was alive when we contained it, but died shortly after these pics were taken.
My son was a bit sad, he has a pet Carpet snake, and we love them.

Kazann

It is a white crowned snake very similar to the golden crowned snake and is not considered dangerous as already mentioned.

Just keep an eye on your puppy, snake venom affects dogs a lot worse than it does people. If s/he starts acting funny you may want to get him to a vet.

Its definately one of the Crown Snakes Cacophis sp. From what I remember there are 3 species. The Golden Crowned, White Crowned and Dwarf Crowned Snakes. It is not the Golden Crowned Snake so it must be one of the other 2. Can't put my hand on my reference book at the moment. They are only small snakes so the one you have is probably fully grown. They often turn up in gardens under rocks etc. They are nocturnal and are generally considered harmless although technically they are venomous. If threatened they will raise their heads and look a bit threatening but its all bluff. I have never heard of one biting anybody and would imagine a bee-sting like reaction as the worst outcome.

If you come across another one gently sweep it into a box and move it to a part of the garden away from the dog...somewhere it can immediately get under cover.

Consider yourself lucky to have them in your garden...they are nothing to worry about!

EDIT: Just had a look on the Queensland Museum site....definately a White Crowned Snake Cacophis harriettae which they describe as being "virtually harmless".

Last edited:
Could some1 please tell me,where they are usually found,as ive never seen one like that,cheers,Great looking snake....

I have 8 children who love to run around our yard, so, if anyone can shed some light on what species of snake we have breeding in our garden, I would greatly appreciate it!
Does anybody else doubt that they are breeding in the backyard?

My guess would be that it has just wandered in. :)

They would be breeding in their backyard, Crowned snakes are very common in suburbia, even in built up areas like Brisbane, where they live secretive lives in compost heaps and under sandstone, timber piles, bricks ect, they are nocturnal, so rarely seen, usually mistaken for a baby snake and killed when they are seen.

Cacophis ,is a great little genus,there very cool little snakes,harmless and put on a lovely little mock display of aggresion
i come across a few a year,i really rate them
the genus is distributed along the east coast,not far inland ,and south as wollongong to north queensland with 4 species

Thanks Guys :)
I appreciate the responses.

We will keep an eye out for them from now on.
We live on the outskirts of Brisbane in a rural valley. We get lots of Yellow-faced Whip snakes, small tree snakes, and of course the odd venomous snake, but we have never seen a white Crowned snake until now.
It would be cool if they were breeding in our garden. We already have enough children! (Tatelina ;))

Kazann

a bit off topic but seeing as we are talking about a venomous snake here I thought i might ask.....the venomous snakes that are described as "harmless to humans" "not dangerous to humans" etc what would happen if one did bite you? would it just be localised pain, irritation or just nothing? I ask because recently I have had a couple of yellow faced whip snakes at home and one at work and just wonder what woudl happen if one did bite.
Thanks,
Dave
p.s. nice looking snake you found....

Hi David, totally depends on the specific species you are talking about. Some cause local pain like a bee sting, onthers nothing at all.

I have been bitten ALOT by suta suta when i was a young snapper and they did absolutely nothing, maybe a larger one causes some minor stinging. A large Yellow faced whip i belive can give a nasty sing. There are alot of people out there that have a nasty reaction to BTS bites to, irritation, hives and local pain.
I personally am a big girl and dont like to get bitten by anything. lol

They would be breeding in their backyard, Crowned snakes are very common in suburbia, even in built up areas like Brisbane, where they live secretive lives in compost heaps and under sandstone, timber piles, bricks ect, they are nocturnal, so rarely seen, usually mistaken for a baby snake and killed when they are seen.

I stand corrected. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back