What sort of Glove

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaa

Reaction score
Hello people

I have a question for all the glove lovers out there.

What sort of glove do you use?

My Mac has been very snappy lately and it is getting frustrating constantly having teeth marks all over my fingers and hands.

Most gloves that I can think of would be very awkward to handle a snake with. What sort of gloves do people use?

ps. please dont make this a glove debate this is a legitimate question.

hehehe, as president of the love the glove party i should be able to answer...but honestly i havent really ever used a glove since the first ever pictures of me with the hybrid, its too awkward to hold a snake whilst wearing them, but i would go for somethin tight fitting so you can at least still feel the snake through them, rubber gloves might be enough to stop a mac getting through.

cheers
Pom

I have used a gardening glove before, it was made from a thin leathery suede material, and ideal, as you could still feel the snake quite easily, will do the job for Mac's, but not so sure about a big Scrubby! Industrial welding gloves for them! LOL!
Neil

Thank you all for your responses.

I'm not sure what the reponse will be at the hardware store when I try to explain what sort of gloves I am looking for!

:p Ask for a pair of riggers gloves,these are very thin aswell as very tough,they are the thin suede type gloves & they give you good hand n finger control.Or if you want funny photos go for welders gloves. :p

Hi Whaa,
I understand your concerns because I have bite marks all up and down my arms too! :(
I started off using your basic gardening gloves but found that you cant really feel the snake with them and its a bit awkward.
Then I found cotton gloves in Bi-Lo, they are thin and a lot easier to handle the snake with because you can feel it through the thinner material. They cost about $1.

mayb you can have leather gloves or then again mabey sheep

Well you could use the turtle skin gloves they use to avoid needle stick injurys but I'd rather get bitten than pay around $200.00 per pair!

Try and avoid using gloves and use a hook instead. I have a pair of water pythons that are still snappy but havn't tagged me yet. In order to take one out of the cage I hook her, and let her have a couple of strikes. Once she turns and starts looking for a way out I just pick her up. She stays in puppy dog mode until placed back in her cage. Also are you feeding your animal in the cage? Perhaps the mac is just hungry now that spring is in the air and associates an open cage door with incoming food.

Thanks everyone I think I will give cotton gloves a go like pinkie suggested because I have a pair in the laundry cupboard. That way I can save $1!

Hopefully this season I will get a trio of Eastern Long Necked Turtles! Yay!

Ohhhh, and the unique "Herping Skirt" new to Australia.
I think a shipment came from England with STP

Hi Whaa

try a pair of ropers or riggers gloves. They are made from a soft leather and are not bulky like those suede/cloth gardening gloves. They are thick enough to stop most bites penetrating to your skin and soft and snug enough to allow handling without awkwardness. My two Bredlis went through a stage of tagging anything that moved and I got fed up with it too - not that it hurt cos they are so small. They seem to be growing out of it a bit now and this is partly due to the fact that with the gloves on they could snap at me as much as they liked without me reacting and I think they got fed up trying. Now I don't need the gloves and the Graham and Lisa and Bart are all getting on fine. I still use a hook to get them off their rock ledge or branch and help them out with the other hand.

The gloves shouldn't cost more than about $8.00. Don't spend $45 for that same gloevs in a Saddlery. If you have trouble finding a pair let me know and I'll get you some.

rgds. Graham

Hopefully this season I will get a trio of Eastern Long Necked Turtles! Yay!
Too much trouble to make your own, just buy the turtle skin gloves ready made :)

And as for you, Gregory, Roflmbloodyao :)

For your information Greg and Ben I wear the pants in the house! I wear the pant so much that its up to my discretion whether or not I put on pants in the morning. I can go around all week without pants and everyone still knows that I'm the pant wearer!

hehe african - My hands are so big it would take the turtles at least 10 year to grow big enough for one glove. :)

thanks grahamh I might go down to the hardware store to have a look at the riggers gloves

we own many pairs of gloves in the serch for the right pair,we have welders,riggers,gardeners,cotton,rubber, latex and well heaps more and so farwe have found that the best sort is thick rubber glovesthey are a firm fit wich makes it easy to feel the snakes movement and have a better grip then riggers gloves as they can be a bit slippery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back