Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthling

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Out the Back of Queensland and a bit more
Got a few of these hopping about. Anyone know what species they are...? Anything wacky about them? Like maybe they worship a nonexistant being or something.....:rolleyes:;).

Attachments

• DSCF2338.jpg
    DSCF2338.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCF2367.jpg
    DSCF2367.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF2370.jpg
    DSCF2370.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 126
The last 2 are spotted grass frogs (Limnodynastes tasmaniensis). Pretty common, at least on the east coast and pattern is quite variable. Scientologists by faith too.:|

Sorry to disagree with you Tiliqua but the last 2 pics look more like Limno. (Opisphedon)ornatus.

Even though the makings and colour almost match tasmaniensis exactly, the more robust build and lack of a distinct glandular fold above the jaw give it away.:)

Thanks for the replies fellow Earthlings. I was getting all excited about meeting a scientologist.....but not to be by the looks.
My neighbour often sees these wee ornatus borrowing into the ground, which matches the ornatus behaviour, so that looks like what they are.

Heres a couple of other pics for your viewing pleasure.
Good ol green tree frog and a Gehyra variegata and lastly what looks to be a wee Underwoodisaurus sphyrurus, however Im unsure as of eye colouration and different locale to normal....:?

Attachments

• DSCF2347.jpg
    DSCF2347.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF2337.jpg
    DSCF2337.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF2104.jpg
    DSCF2104.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 106
Thanks for the replies fellow Earthlings. I was getting all excited about meeting a scientologist.....but not to be by the looks.

I have to agree, it doesnt look like tasmaniensis to me. Why would anyone be excitied about meeting a scientologist?? I would be thankful he/she went elsewhere.

and lastly what looks to be a wee Underwoodisaurus sphyrurus, however Im unsure as of eye colouration and different locale to normal....:?

Thats a Heteronotia binoei. Bynoes gecko

Got another frog to ID if anybody would like to. I think its another burrowing frog but not sure.
It was in some Garden refuse i was moving around...possibly in some dirt amongst it.

Attachments

• DSCF2479.jpg
    DSCF2479.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 84
One of my favourites, a great barred!
I will go get the scientific name and a link for you, I can never remember how to spell Mixo fasc? you'll see lol

Thats another ornate burrowing frog,they are pretty variable.They usually have barred legs as well.

Thanks meshe and pike. The skin doesnt look like a mixophyes and locale is different too...bit further west.
Another ornate! Looks very similiar in body....just colouration when I have a good squiz.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry to disagree with you Tiliqua but the last 2 pics look more like Limno. (Opisphedon)ornatus.

Even though the makings and colour almost match tasmaniensis exactly, the more robust build and lack of a distinct glandular fold above the jaw give it away.:)

What is Opisphedon? a new genus?

Also frogs arnt desperate enough to make up gods, they are just content to live and breed while they can without having to make stuff up to feel better about the death of their own kind.

Opisthodon (Oops... spelt incorrectly in my first post!) is the genus recently created for 2 former spp. of Limnodynastes (ornatus and spenceri). The change was published in the Amphibian Tree of Life (Frost et al. 2006).

Cheers,
David.

Found another frog whilst transplanting a pine.
Bit bigger then the other frogs around, being about 9cm long.
Any thoughts as to Species?
Oh and he was also under ground.

Attachments

• DSCF2547.jpg
    DSCF2547.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back