What temps for my snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbinoMedusa

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m new to snake keeping, I currently have to hatchlings 1 Murray darling and 1 albino Darwin carpet. When we got them we were told to set their temps to 28 but others have said that’s to low just curious to see what others think

Hi guys I’m new to snake keeping, I currently have to hatchlings 1 Murray darling and 1 albino Darwin carpet. When we got them we were told to set their temps to 28 but others have said that’s to low just curious to see what others think
32~34 in the hot spot.
Watch what the snakes are doing. If they are spending all their time on the hot side raise the temp a bit, if they are always on the cooler side you have them too hot. If they are using the entire enclosure then temps are good. Feeding well is also a good indication that they are happy.

@Ramsayi, good to see this advice given. It is something we should all be in the habit of telling others.

Being hatchlings, I would assumed these snakes are being kept in two separate click clacks. Recommended temperatures are a general guideline and best viewed as a starting point. As already indicated, 32 degrees or so is the most commonly recommended hot end temperature. In order to allow for any differences in measuring temperatures and in individual snakes, ypu should follow Ramsayi’s advice and tweak this temperature according to what the snake’s behaviour is telling you.

The only additional advice I would offer is to use the minimum wattage required to achieved the desired temperatures. That way, if a thermostat is being used and it fails, your snakes have a much better chance of surviving until the problem is discovered. While snakes can survive low temperatures for some considerable time, temps approaching 40 or above are often fatal very quickly.

Back