What To Do With Leftover Insects

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I bought a tub of 100 "small" woodies for my skink, but he showed no interest in them, plus they moved too fast to catch. I left some in his tank, only to find them behind the background, when I next cleaned his tank :/ they'd grown too..
Anyways, it's pretty clear to me he want's nothing to do with them, and now i'm left with a ton of woodies, and i'm almost certain they're multiplying.
It was a dumb decision, and i'm paying the price since I keep finding them in random spots in my house.
What on earth do I do?

our skinks love them and the chase is good exercise for them but if you have no other reptiles feed them to the chooks,ours go crazy when I say "who wants bugs?"

I got them thinking it would be some good enrichment and exercise, but he's too lazy to run lol.
Wish I had chickens, sounds like they come in handy.

I bought some woodies when I got my baby Nephrurus the other week and they showed no interest in them either even though they had apparently been feeding on them. All my lizards seem to prefer crickets for some reason.

I bought some woodies when I got my baby Nephrurus the other week and they showed no interest in them either even though they had apparently been feeding on them. All my lizards seem to prefer crickets for some reason.
I have got into the habit recently of feeding crix in the AM and woodies in the PM for my central netted dragons and my juvie frilly.seems to work well if I get home early enough

I got them thinking it would be some good enrichment and exercise, but he's too lazy to run lol.
Wish I had chickens, sounds like they come in handy.
chickens are great at cleanup time,they eat any leftover bugs (dead or alive ) plus any table scraps and give me beautiful eggs that are better than anything you get from the supermarket

I think woodies are more nutritional for them. However the main reason for me was i was going through 5 to 600 crickets a week. I now keep 3 tubs of woodies roughly 3000 of them and that supplies my insect needs. I just feed them on rabbit pellets and oranges. And once a week i gut load them with fish flakes. I also keep food for the woodies in the rep enclosures it seems to help keep them in there

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think woodies are more nutritional for them. However the main reason for me was i was going through 5 to 600 crickets a week. I now keep 3 tubs of woodies roughly 3000 of them and that supplies my insect needs. I just feed them on rabbit pellets and oranges. And once a week i gut load them with fish flakes. I also keep food for the woodies in the rep enclosures it seems to help keep them in there

I agree woodies are more nutritional,but the dragons get bored easily so I keep both.I buy crix in bulk (750 medium & 500 large) does me about 2-3 weeks and a tub of about 2000 woodies will last the rest of the season.
Only difference is I feed them dog biscuits and carrots.
I also leave the leftover veg in enclosures overnight so the uneaten bugs eat this .
Swap from crix to woodies here and there and every body is happy

The skink shows no interest in them at all ? All my dragons and monitors love woodies. Also with woodies if u pinch just under there mandle / or neck just below the mouth. They will only run around for ten to 15 mins

Spent many an hour squeezing woodie heads to feed them to my less than physically enthusiastic skinks. Nothing like digested carrot juice all over your hands.

Freezer for 15-20 mins works a treat too.

Thanks everyone :)
I'll give the 'squeeze' thing a go, and see if he's a little more keen. He really isn't too keen on chasing prey it seems, maybe if they're dead/slowed down he'll give em a go.
Tried crickets awhile ago, he seemed to like them, but they kept getting out, so they've been banned :(

Freeze them to de frost them at a later date. Atm I probably have 5 kg of frozen crixs and 6 kgs of frozon woodies in the freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back