Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggster

Reaction score
Ever since seeing my first snake, I've been hooked.

I was lucky enough to get my first snake a year ago, and a couple months ago I got a little Woma Python.

And I'm rather pleased to say that I've finally gotten my own R1 reptile license (my mother holds the current license for my two current snakes as I previously was not old enough to have my own).

Now, having my own I'm rather keen on adding to my collection in the near future- my current 'short' list (in no particular order) includes:

- Rough Scaled Python
- Green Tree Python
- Black Headed Python
- Jungle Python
- Darwin Carpet Python
- Murray Darling Carpet Python
- Centralian Carpet Python

I'd even consider getting another Stimson's or Woma, but I do want to have more of a variety.

So, what are your experiences with these types of snakes, or what else would you reccomend?

I would vote for my very chilled Murray Darling, but that is my preference as she is the first of my snakes

My first and so far only snake is a Bredli and she has been a dream to own and the snake I've wanted ever since i fist saw one on TV when I was a kid so I may be a bit biased :p

I've narrowed my next snake down to a Darwin but I can't decide between an albino or regular colouration.
But then again there is a good chance i may end up impulse buying a jungle jag.

Haha. I reckon that might just happen to me xD
Im going to go to an expo and leave with a car full of snakes...

Personally I'd prefer a normal- not that into all the morphs, and I love the 'normal' far more than any albino

Haha. I reckon that might just happen to me xD
Im going to go to an expo and leave with a car full of snakes...

Personally I'd prefer a normal- not that into all the morphs, and I love the 'normal' far more than any albino

I think it was the flashiness of the albinos that hooked me at first but the normal colouration is really growing on me.

The albino Darwins aren't a morph as such, but a naturally occurring variation.
But if you are looking for your first carpet, you can't go past a MD, as Cagey said above. Our big bloke was our second python, and our first from a hatchling. Very chilled and relaxed. The only time you'll see a MD agitated is at food time.

In a few years time, morphs will be the minority of interests with those wishing to have something 'unique'. Just a hunch....

As for your next snake, I would put a BHP at the top of your list and a Bredli a close second.

And put the GTP a distant last.... To own a Ferrari you need to know how to drive one first.

In a few years time, morphs will be the minority of interests with those wishing to have something 'unique'. Just a hunch....

As for your next snake, I would put a BHP at the top of your list and a Bredli a close second.

And put the GTP a distant last.... To own a Ferrari you need to know how to drive one first.

RE the GTP, my sentiments exactly. I'm keen on having one, but more than a bit worried that I won't be able to care for one properly solely on the basis of lack of experience- I don't want my inexperience killing a snake!

The albino Darwins aren't a morph as such, but a naturally occurring variation.
But if you are looking for your first carpet, you can't go past a MD, as Cagey said above. Our big bloke was our second python, and our first from a hatchling. Very chilled and relaxed. The only time you'll see a MD agitated is at food time.

Bit of a blurred line then really. what defines a morph? Wether it was 1st observed in captivity or the wild?

Man,,,

Great list you have going there, and I often ponder what I'd like next. It never hurts to ask for opinions and hear the experiences others have had.

Being in the states, I have a slightly different list but,,,,,, I have a snake on my list that is also on your list. That snake is the Bredli, and the info I'm getting is they can be big, long/heavy bodied (seen some huge specimens) snakes. Yet they are in the "Morelia package" so you should have a reasonably active and fairly arboreal critter that is not huge by python standards..

I look for the qualities I find "exciting" and that is relative as far as boa/python behavior goes, but there certainly are some snakes that show off more than others.

Its late/early morning here and I'm down in my dark room watching my coastal mutt climb around. She is the only one of my 3 snakes out, and this is a fairly regular occurrence.

The last 4 on your list are a tossup except maybe for me the Bredli.

I say go Bredli! But there are no sour grapes on that list so you'll score no matter what!

I like Darwins and coastals myself. Mds are great too. Most are puppy dog tame and are just lovely animals

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

My first and so far only snake is a Bredli and she has been a dream to own and the snake I've wanted ever since i fist saw one on TV when I was a kid so I may be a bit biased :p

I've narrowed my next snake down to a Darwin but I can't decide between an albino or regular colouration.
But then again there is a good chance i may end up impulse buying a jungle jag.

This is my new baby het Darwin
de3343a62ba105dab3a5511178dca4b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point there. I was trying to say that it was naturally occurring, rather than bred for.

Ah no worries, I suppose you could argue the first jags etc were not bred for either. interesting debate pure vs mixed/morphs one I'm happy to sit on fence for :)

i have every one on your list by far the best is the bredli she is a dream

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Bit of a blurred line then really. what defines a morph? Wether it was 1st observed in captivity or the wild?
I'm far from an expert on this, but I'd say that the morphs like jag and zeb were far less dramatic when they originally appeared (either in the wild, or in captivity) and then were accentuated through polygenic breeding. I'm sure there are many naturally occurring quirky patterns in the wild from some form of slight genetic mutation or another, but it's us humans that takes it to extreme levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back