Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

malbone

Not so new Member
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]keen on either a turtle but not longneck -Monitor - Dragon - Equlies - legless lizard - small snake up to about 40cm - something I can see and not real hard to look after - the biggest problem I see is they are near impossible to buy - I like them all but any help would be greatly appriciated as i understald most are tricky to look after in that they stress - also Wa it so so strict on what you can keep very restricted compared to other states - have bearded dragon and green tree frogs and there great for a beginner - any suggestions - thanks Mal[/FONT]

I would recommend a Western blue-tongue, and if you want small snakes I would probably recommend that you get a stimsons/children's Python, even though they are a bit larger than 40cm. I am not familiar with the entire WA list so I have probably missed something.

What are "Equlies?" - no idea - i saw it on the web in a list of cool stuff...............

Equlies make great pets and i would recommend getting one.

no animal comes up on Google - mainly stuff to do with shares - do they have another name and what are they - Lizard - snake - leg less lizard - wa is so strict on what you can keep - thanks mal

Ahh that would explain it. Shame there's not enough small skinks on the WA keepers list, though I wonder how common Egernia napoleonis would be in captivity. That's a skink that would be awesome to keep.

When I was a kid I would often keep colonies of Hemiergis peronii peronii in plastic tubs filled with soil and leaf litter, some live plants, and a shallow water container. I kept them in my room and every now and then I would take the tub outside so the skinks and plants could get a bit of sunshine. They also had sun streaming in through the window in my room. I fed them slaters, earwigs, spiders, worms, moths, small crickets etc. and eventually the little tub turned into a little ecosystem. I would keep the soil moist by spraying.

The skinks were pretty cool and full of character. If you had the time and were quiet enough you could often observe them carrying on with their lives and "swimming" through the leaf litter. I would sometimes discover babies in there. They were live bearers. Unfortunately they're not on the keeping list.

Here's the link for the WA Reptile Keeping List. Bare in mind that the Stripe Tailed Monitor (Varanus caudolineatus) is also supposed to be on the list in category 3. I think its absence may be due to a typo. Feel free to peruse the list and to study the species that you think would best suit your interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back