Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deebo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all, me and a couple of mates have a few acres out near warwick and on a previous trip we stumbled across a small snake about 30cm long hiding under a rock. It had a completely black head, a red body with black and white rings running around its body evry 5cms or so. I didnt have a camera with so no pics unfortuately. I have been hunting high and low to try and find out what it was but too no avail. the closest i could find on the internet was was milk snake or a californian king snake but obviously these are in america. Can anyone think of what it might have been?? will take pics if i see again.

I'm certainly no snake expert - so I will stop right there!

Just replying so I can keep in touch with this thread... Sounds interesting.

Black and white stripes I know of Bandy Bandy - but the red body?

maybe a baby brown the pics i have seen on here latey have banding and a black or dk brown head. but i'm no expert.

dont think it was a bandy bandy...it was predominently red in its body.

Could it have been a coral snake? I don't think they have completely black heads though...

dumb question but do we get them in qld?

WHat about a juvi Colletts snake though dont know about the white stripes where they very contrast? could ahve alwyas been a tiger i've seen some odd coloured young tigers at my parents acrerage.

If I remember well, I think QLD is the only place they occur. Could be wrong though, so your best bet would be to look it up on google :p

Sounds like any of a number of those kinda snakes (coral, milk etc) ... except of course we're in the wrong country. Hahahaha could be an escaped exotic!

We have an Australian coral snake. It's red with black and white bands, and a bit of black on its head.

EDIT: beat me to it lol.

thanks guys....i think it must have been a aust coral snake.

Very hard to find in google when you dont know what your looking for?!?! lol

typing red and black snake gets some odd result!

They seem like a cool snake to keep as a pet :) hehe...

I didn't even know we had a coral snake like that here in Aus... Well, there's my one thing I have learnt for the day. Now I can go home and go to bed :)

that website says" virtually harmless, weakly venomous" sounds comforting that we might only get ill and not die if bitten!

Virtually harmless usually means you won't get ill. It might hurt a bit but.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back