What type of turtle should I buy ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollyrabbitts42

Reaction score
Hello all looking for recommendations on what type of turtle I should purchase I’m looking to buy 2 turtles and place them in an outdoor pond throughout the whole year I live in the the west of Victoria and it gets pretty hot in summer and really cold in winter so it needs to be a pretty hearty turtle. I was also wondering if I would need a heater and pump/filter in my pond or not. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there... the turtle you should aim to keep would ideally be a species that is endemic to your area such as a Murray river turtle, Eastern snake neck turtle or a Broad-shelled turtle. Also, 1 turtle will be far happier on its own than a pair of turtles being forced to cohabitate. Your pond dimensions will need to be a minimum of 2m long by 1m wide by 1m deep. Anything smaller will be completely inadequate and allow for excessive temperature fluctuations. Your pond will need to be positioned so it receives both the morning and afternoon sunlight but is completely shaded from the midday sun.

Hi there... the turtle you should aim to keep would ideally be a species that is endemic to your area such as a Murray river turtle, Eastern snake neck turtle or a Broad-shelled turtle. Also, 1 turtle will be far happier on its own than a pair of turtles being forced to cohabitate. Your pond dimensions will need to be a minimum of 2m long by 1m wide by 1m deep. Anything smaller will be completely inadequate and allow for excessive temperature fluctuations. Your pond will need to be positioned so it receives both the morning and afternoon sunlight but is completely shaded from the midday sun.

Thank you I was aiming to have a pond larger than those dimensions would that sill be alright to do.

Thank you I was aiming to have a pond larger than those dimensions would that sill be alright to do.

Definitely, the bigger the better. Make sure it is properly fenced too if it is to be an in-ground pond, turtles are excellent climbers... Polybelt at least 90cm high and dug into the ground at least 20cm is a good option. It will, aside from keeping your turtle/s in, keep Cane toads out (if they are a problem in your area). Turtles in the wild often eat tadpoles which more often than not leads to their deaths and taddies are intermediate hosts for a long list of parasites like flukes and nematodes but Toadpoles are highly toxic and will kill turtles in short order if toads successfully breed in your pond. There's only one species of freshwater turtle in Australia that can eat cane toads and their toadpoles.

Definitely, the bigger the better. Make sure it is properly fenced too if it is to be an in-ground pond, turtles are excellent climbers... Polybelt at least 90cm high and dug into the ground at least 20cm is a good option. It will, aside from keeping your turtle/s in, keep Cane toads out (if they are a problem in your area). Turtles in the wild often eat tadpoles which more often than not leads to their deaths and taddies are intermediate hosts for a long list of parasites like flukes and nematodes but Toadpoles are highly toxic and will kill turtles in short order if toads successfully breed in your pond. There's only one species of freshwater turtle in Australia that can eat cane toads and their toadpoles.

Perfect thank you also I was wondering can I put other fish/etc in my pond with my turtle or will it me happier on its own

You most certainly can add fish, just be aware though that any fish you add will be considered by the turtle/s as food... so don't spend big $$$ on them. Whilst the most common pond fish are goldfish and koi carp, you'll need to avoid these as they are high in thiaminase enzymes which when consumed by your turtle, will build up and cause a thiamin (vitamin B1) deficiency... this will lead to the death of your turtle/s as their nervous system will shut down and they will drown.

You most certainly can add fish, just be aware that any fish you ad will be considered by the turtle as food... so don't spend big $$$ on them. Whilst the most common pond fish are goldfish and koi carp, you'll need to avoid these as they are high in thiaminase enzymes which when consumed by your turtle, will build up and cause a thiamin (vitamin B1) deficiency... this will lead to the death of your turtle/s as their nervous system will shut down and they will drown.

Thank you for answering all my questions you were a big help.

Definitely post pics of your pond setup when complete. Looking forward to seeing it. :)

Back