What will I do now.....?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've two children. My son has never been smacked. I threatened to smack him once and he smiled at me. He said "you wouldn't hit me," with a look of total innocent belief in the statement. My daughter was smacked once and it didn't do anything to right the situation. I have two very courteous, well behaved kids who do what they are asked as much as anyone elses.

I've two children. My son has never been smacked. I threatened to smack him once and he smiled at me. He said "you wouldn't hit me," with a look of total innocent belief in the statement. My daughter was smacked once and it didn't do anything to right the situation. I have two very courteous, well behaved kids who do what they are asked as much as anyone elses.

You did it wrong then :p

I smacked my daughter twice- once when she was 3 and ran across 4 lanes of traffic, and once when she was 6 and went out of the front yard to talk to some douchebag in a van, who called her over. And if DOCS came to visit because of either of them, they'd get the same!

Throw shoes, it works and also improves their reflexes. Just say'n

It's unfair to say smacking doesn't work for any kids, and then too say it works for all.
I was smacked, and the severity of the smack fit the crime.
I think it worked well for myself personally.

Too outlaw it makes no difference. If people feel it's because of parents who can't tell the difference between smacking and bashing...Don't you also feel they're the people who don't care? They'd continue on their merry way despite a silly law telling them not too!

What should be taken more seriously, is all the absoloute CRAP I hear parents scream at their children. Do you really think the more aggressively and loud you swear at a child, the more it'll listen? Both my neighbours do this, and it does my head in.

Last edited:
I think it's funny when parents ask their children if they'd like to sit in their chair. I wasn't given a choice haha

When I was over in NZ just recently my daughter decided to help herself to some pic'n'mix at the local New World, despite the fact that she knew it was wrong, so I smacked the back of her hand (just a tap, enough to send a message) and made her give it to the nearest attendant and tell the truth. The look of shock on the faces of passersby did not escape my attention, and when I got back to my mother's place I told her about it. Apparently I was lucky the cops weren't called.
What got to me was the fact that nobody cared about my daughter stealing, even though it was only a couple of lollies it's still stealing, and that's what we've always said to her. The collective shock surfaced when I smacked her hand. From the looks on their faces I may as well have back-handed her into the veges.
I wonder if I'd just let her eat the damn sweeties if anyone would have even cared that I'd just left her to steal unreprimanded?

Nighthawk, i wouldve been proud of you if I'd seen that. As instead, i see all the parents who happily let their children run a muck and raise them to think they're untouchable.

Ive done the same Nighthawk, i took my daughter back into the shop after getting out to the car & noticing she had taken a lollypop on our way out, she was only 2, but she still remembers it to this day!

I was beaten by my mum's boyfriend with a piece of bamboo or back handed across the face when I did something wrong. I now have 3 boys of my own and I give them a smack on the bum due to fighting with each other but I know the limits and know exactly how it feels to be beaten badly, not to sure if the boys are learning anything from it and i'm just wasting my time but when you have taken all other ideas of discipline and failed what else is left to do. I think children should be punished a little harder at school otherwise parents have no hope controlling their child/ren at home, children need consistency in their life

I was beaten by my mum's boyfriend with a piece of bamboo or back handed across the face when I did something wrong. I now have 3 boys of my own and I give them a smack on the bum due to fighting with each other but I know the limits and know exactly how it feels to be beaten badly, not to sure if the boys are learning anything from it and i'm just wasting my time but when you have taken all other ideas of discipline and failed what else is left to do. I think children should be punished a little harder at school otherwise parents have no hope controlling their child/ren at home, children need consistency in their life

More often than not it works the other way. A well disciplined child at home makes for a good learner.

Again... Schools are not there solely to discipline/raise your children. Teachers do it and do it very well but the reality is that children have been taught their values long before school. It is extremely difficult to work with children when there is no behavioral support from home.

Last edited:
Again... Schools are not there solely to discipline/raise your children. Teachers do it and do it very well but the reality is that children have been taught their values long before school. It is extremely difficult to work with children when there is no behavioral support from home.

No no it is NOT our job at all! We are here to develop your child's academic skills, not to raise or discipline kids. That is called beign a parent.

Haha I wanted to say it as bluntly as you but trying to be nice :p I'm also a teacher ;)

My Mum still back hands me if I let the f word slip near her. (& I'm nearly 50)
Dam pleased she doesn't come to the pub with me, she'e got a great back hander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back