Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they are some fat beardies in the pics.

yeah, Chubby and Bug have been on a diet for about a year, theyve lost 100g each and have another 100ish to lose,..

poor girls eat hardly anything and the weight just wont budge. :(

i am going to be different and say i'd go with a shingle back :D

They are hardy and easy to keep (exactly what you need in a kids pet).

I had 2 of them groing up and loved them to pieces!!

Cheers,
Ishka

blue tongue lizards are a lot slower, but are more hardey and proberbly easeyer to handle than a bearded dragon. however having kept both i personally would go a bearded dragon because they are more active (more exciting to watch), and are an awsome lizard. as for monitors, such as the pygmy mulga monitor and the ackie(ridge-tailed monitor) they are a lot cheaper to run (dont need u.v or ceramic heat lamps), all they reqiure is a large tank and a hot basking light. beardy's and blue's need u.v and heaters(can be expensive).

as for tanks melemine is the best. for a bluey, and bearded dragon, a 3ft long, 1ft wide and 1ft high is a minimum. and for a monitor probably 4ft long, 2ft wide, and 2ft high is a good size. u could go smaller for the monitor but bigger is always best.

i like monitors the best but its up to u wich u like best.

small skinks such as the garden skink wich u can find in gardens, woodstacks and stuff often make a great first lizard for younger kids. (i started off with skinks).

hope it helped

Bearded Dragons are the best, It was my first and I've had no major problems with him. They're active, individual and run and jump - unlike bluies

I'd go for bearded dragons. Just make sure whatever you choose that you do your research first. It's a good idea too, to buy their enclosure and have it all set up and running a day or 2 before you bring the lizard home so that you know you've got the heating/lighting set up right.

Blue Tongues are a great first lizard. They are hardy and very receptable to handling. How old is your son?

Last edited:
I held my first bluey today and they are just gorgeous. They would probably be more hardy for your son to start off with because little beardies are quite fragile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back