Whats right for me? What should I choose as a friend. Will it choose me?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helpersholto

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this website I'm not sure if i'm asking this question on the right thing, but I am trying to find a lizard thats right for me I will only accept it if it accepts me. I want it to like me but what lizards should I go with please tell me.
[doublepost=1529631852,1529631522][/doublepost]Can anyone see this? If so please message.

No lizard will ‘like’ you- reptiles don’t ‘like’ people but some will tolerate handling more than others.

Geckos are not a species you should be handling at all on a regular basis. I pick them up for a minute a week for a quick health check, and some people will say that is ‘too much’ handling.

Blue Tongue Lizards are probably one of the better beginner ones are care is fairly simple and they’re a hardy species. Again they won’t ‘like’ you or care for you in the slightest

As buggster said, no animal will “choose” you

But that’s not to say you can’t imagine that the one with its head to the glass isn’t picking you, just know that it’s not truly “picking “ you

The thing is for you to choose the one you like ;)

Thank you for the help. My mum was thinking about a shingle back, are they good to handle? Since they are close relatives of Blue tongues do they share their hardiness?
[doublepost=1529728448,1529728356][/doublepost]
shingle.jpg
Shingle Back, or Tiliqua rugosa.
[doublepost=1529729106][/doublepost]I have noticed that most people suggest Bearded dragons or Blue tongues, are they the only good starters?
[doublepost=1529729201][/doublepost]Im so confused there has to be more!

confused.jpg

I personally don't own any lizards but a friend of mine owns bearded dragons. Her Beardies are the friendliest reptiles I've met. I believe hers are affectionate towards her, but that's probably my opinion. I would highly recommend them. She's 14, cares for them herself and has no problems, they're hardy and easy to care for. I highly recommend them and would definitely own a pair if I could.

Blue tongues, and shingle backs (maybe bearded dragons) require a mixed diet of vegetables, fruit and insects with reptile specific multivitamin powders.

They like to make a lot of mess, with shingle backs pissing and ****ting everywhere almost every time you get them out.

Bearded dragons are in my opinion more characteristically unique and easier to care for

...They like to make a lot of mess, with shingle backs pissing and ****ting everywhere almost every time you get them out. ...
Sounds like you are talking about a wild caught Shinglebacks. They quickly settle to being laid back in my experience. As for supposedly being messy eaters, they are no more so than blueys or beardeds. This may be due to the different subspecies, rugosa vs asper, although I doubt It.

@Helpersholto. If you live on the eastern seaboard, I would not recommend a shingleback as a first reptile, as they do not cope well with high humidity and are prone to developing respiratory infections as a result. If you live in a drier climate, then they are definitely a good choice as a starter animal.

Your opening post indicates that you have no knowledge at all of keeping reptiles. Before doing anything, you therefore must research caring for any animal you are considering getting. That will also let you know whether or not you are capable of looking after that animal. Can you afford what it needs in terms of cage and equipment, can you afford the on-going running cost, do you have a suitable place to keep its enclosure, can you afford the on-going cost of food, are you able and willing to regularly put in the time and energy required? Bear in mind that these animals are relatively long-lived, so you are making a commitment for years to come.

The species recommended for beginners are not difficult to keep, but like any pet, you have to learn how to look after them before getting one. For example, if you bought a budgie and then bought some large parrot seed mix, thinking it was a ‘large packet’ of seed suitable for all parrots, you would soon end up with a dead budgie. You can buy quality Australian authored books or booklets on each of the recommended species. In the meantime here is a brief care sheet followed by an in-depth guide for bluetongues: http://bluetongueskinks.net/care.htm and http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizards/Blue-Tongue-Skink/ . The same exists for bearded dragons, depending on the species. Someone with more current knowledge on them would be better to suggest care sheets than I.

Last edited:
Shinglebacks can actually become very fond of people. I had one years ago which used to love people. She'd follow them around and if someone sat on the floor she'd go sit in their lap every time. I let her free range in the place I was living at the time because she was so social. Some friends use to stay over and sleep on the floor because she'd always love to cuddle up to people while they slept.

I'm the last person to say reptiles make good cuddle pets. I've always more or less treated them like fish and I generally roll my eyes when people say their python likes them or knows them personally or has some special relationship with them etc, but there are some reptiles which actually do bond with people. Stumpies naturally form bonds with each other in the wild. Apparently iguanas can be a bit similar (not that they're an option in Australia, but they're apparently an example of a social reptile).

Sounds like you are talking about a wild caught Shinglebacks. They quickly settle to being laid back in my experience. As for supposedly being messy eaters, they are no more so than blueys or beardeds. This may be due to the different subspecies, rugosa vs asper, although I doubt It.

@Helpersholto. If you live on the eastern seaboard, I would not recommend a shingleback as a first reptile, as they do not cope well with high humidity and are prone to developing respiratory infections as a result. If you live in a drier climate, then they are definitely a good choice as a starter animal.

Your opening post indicates that you have no knowledge at all of keeping reptiles. Before doing anything, you therefore must research caring for any animal you are considering getting. That will also let you know whether or not you are capable of looking after that animal. Can you afford what it needs in terms of cage and equipment, can you afford the on-going running cost, do you have a suitable place to keep its enclosure, can you afford the on-going cost of food, are you able and willing to regularly put in the time and energy required? Bear in mind that these animals are relatively long-lived, so you are making a commitment for years to come.

The species recommended for beginners are not difficult to keep, but like any pet, you have to learn how to look after them before getting one. For example, if you bought a budgie and then bought some large parrot seed mix, thinking it was a ‘large packet’ of seed suitable for all parrots, you would soon end up with a dead budgie. You can buy quality Australian authored books or booklets on each of the recommended species. In the meantime here is a brief care sheet followed by an in-depth guide for bluetongues: http://bluetongueskinks.net/care.htm and http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizards/Blue-Tongue-Skink/ . The same exists for bearded dragons, depending on the species. Someone with more current knowledge on them would be better to suggest care sheets than I.

i live in south-east queensland just above the border of new south whales and thanks for telling me about them not coping on the eastern sea board also i don't know what the eastern sea board is i'm still in school i'm 14.
[doublepost=1529887603,1529887406][/doublepost]

I know a bit about geckos i did lots of research before I found out about them being so difficult I was doing a report on them here is what I did.

Barking Gecko (Underwoodisaurus milii)

FACTS AND HOW TO CARE.

This document is full of the research that I have found through google, I will not copy and paste large sections of it except some that I cannot rewrite myself. The links that I have used will be at the end of the document.

Barking Geckos are native to Southern Australia, they are terrestrial geckos(Ground dwelling), from a variety of areas like, wet coastal areas, leaf-covered forests, dry woodlands, to arid scrublands consisting of hard-packed soil(Dirt).

The Barking Geckos (Thick-tailed Geckos) of the family Carphodactylidae live in groups and like to to seek shelter in warm concealed dwellings.

It has been reclassified 22 since its discovery back in 1823. Its scientific name Underwoodisaurus milii was overturned to Nephrurus milii in 1990, then back to U.milii then again to N.milii and is once again back to U.milii and it has been since 2011.

They are also known to be active climbers.

They can grow to around 4 inches from snout-to-vent, with a tail close to that.They can as adults weigh about 14 to 20 grams, some weighing 25 grams.

They are not truly dimorphic, as males and females tend to be of similar size. Preanal pores are absent in males, but their gender is obvious as adult males have disproportionately large hemipenes just under their vent at the underside of the tail base.(Copied as I couldn’t find my own words)

They are great characters full of personality and attitude.

In the wild the geckos have been seen basking in full and shaded sunlight mostly in the afternoon.*

They are a cool climate gecko around the 25-27 degree mark, not tolerating heat above 30 degrees.

Australian barking geckos can be housed in rack systems or in naturalistic terrarium-type habitats. As a general rule, allow a minimum space of 12 inches long by 12 inches wide of surface area per adult barking gecko. Given that they are primarily terrestrial, the height only needs to be 9 to 12 inches tall.(Copied as I couldn’t find my own words)

When the Geckos lay their eggs they will bury them to keep them safe, they won’t stay with them they will just go on their way.

IMPORTANT!: When handling Gecko eggs or any lizard eggs for that matter never turn them over keep them in the position in which they were laid, failing to do this will lead to the air bubble supplying oxygen to the embryo moving and the embryo drowning!(Marking the eggs with texter to show how they were laid will not harm the and will potentially save them from drowning.).

Glass aquariums are quite beneficial, for one when misting the enclosure droplets of water will condense on the walls that the gecko will lick off, and no matter how much water is sprayed the enclosure is unaffected. You do not need lids because the geckos are unable to climb out, also having no lid reduces noise at feeding time, which often makes the geckos hide and, and having no lid provides maximum ventilation.

Since these geckos live in sandy, loamy soil, they don’t have the problem of intestinal impaction like many other species of geckos.So using about half to 1-inch layer or 50% fine-grade, non-silica sand and 50% sifted, sphagnum peat moss (without fertiliser), in the bottom of the enclosure will give a more natural substrate, allowing the gecko to dig and keep appropriate thermal conditions and relative humidity.You must keep the cool side of their enclosure slightly moist by mist with water two to three times a week, letting the gecko lick the water droplets the side walls because they don’t always wants to drink from the bowls.

*Barking geckos eyes are very sensitive and their eyesight weak in bright light so don’t ever expose them to direct sunlight.

They will tolerate small amounts of handling, and when handling the gecko have slow movements, so offer your hand slowly, palm up before picking them up. Do not reach down above them as they may startle thinking it is a predator. NEVER grab their tail, as do all lizards do when threatened they will “drop” their tails and when that happens they become vulnerable to infection.

They mainly eat live crickets and roach nymphs. Do not give them anything bigger than three quarters the size of their head otherwise they may choke, baby should be fed 3-4 small crickets or roaches every other day until they grow to two inches in length, then slightly larger prey every other day until they become full-grown in about 12-18 months. Adults can be fed 5-6 larger crickets or roaches every three days. Barking geckos like variety, they do not like eating from bowls much. They will lick moisture from the walls on the cool side of their enclosure after misting, however if you don’t mist then you must provide a water bowl.

Food for your geckos must be dusted with a mixture ultra-fine calcium powder ever 2 or 3 feedings and reptile vitamins once a week.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DUST (BOTH CALCIUM AND REP.VITA):put calcium powder in a zip-lock bag or commercial cricket duster and "dust" live food items prior to feeding by shaking them gently in the bag or container until they are coated. Vitamins should be given weekly using the same method.(Copied as I couldn’t find my own words). WARNING: DO NOT FORGET THE CALCIUM AND VITAMIN OR YOUR GECKO WILL BE PERMANENTLY DISFIGURED OR WILL DIE!

You should feed your live crickets on whole grain cereal, oatmeal, squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, collard greens, and a slice of red potato for water. Roaches should be fed on high protein food like Ferret food.

And if you are going to add new geckos to your colony you must quarantine it for 30-90 days but preferably 90 days. Failure to do so could end up with the transfer of disease or parasites.

HEALTH ISSUES:

• Intestinal parasites(E.G.Ring worm)

• Metabolic bone disease(Calcium deficiency)

• Dysecdysis(Skin infection from not shedding properly)

• Dehydration

• Mites

• Respiratory infections(Caused by stress, low temp, high humidity and dust from calcium)

• Eye infections

• Impaction(Gut blockage)

• Hypervitaminosis(Too much vitamin A)

• Mouth rot

LINKS USED: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Australian-Barking-Gecko-Care-Sheet/

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Tips-For-The-Australian-Barking-Gecko/

http://www.hi-tekaquariums.com.au/terrestrial-gecko-care-guide/

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...DH5QKHfooDH4Q_AUICSgA&biw=1022&bih=1055&dpr=2

A Special thanks to The Australian Thick-Tailed Gecko Lovers and Greg Bourke for the help I had from them.
[doublepost=1529888087][/doublepost]
Shinglebacks can actually become very fond of people. I had one years ago which used to love people. She'd follow them around and if someone sat on the floor she'd go sit in their lap every time. I let her free range in the place I was living at the time because she was so social. Some friends use to stay over and sleep on the floor because she'd always love to cuddle up to people while they slept.

I'm the last person to say reptiles make good cuddle pets. I've always more or less treated them like fish and I generally roll my eyes when people say their python likes them or knows them personally or has some special relationship with them etc, but there are some reptiles which actually do bond with people. Stumpies naturally form bonds with each other in the wild. Apparently iguanas can be a bit similar (not that they're an option in Australia, but they're apparently an example of a social reptile).

IfI end up getting one then I wouldn't let it have free range of the house as we have cats my cat I wouldn't worry about it's my mums(he a hunter he once bolted out the door to take on an ibis) i'd worry about but i'd let it run around my room with the door closed is that ok? If I do should I block under my door and chest of draws with my clothes?
[doublepost=1529888351][/doublepost]Mostly my mum persists on me doing more on the project to look at getting one, I won't disobey her so i'm going to research more on it I think it's almost done. :)
[doublepost=1529892622][/doublepost] . Here is what it is now others some pointed stuff out

FACTS AND HOW TO CARE.

This document is full of the research that I have found through google, I will not copy and paste large sections of it except some that I cannot rewrite myself. The links that I have used will be at the end of the document.

Barking Geckos are found all over Australia, there are three sub species off thick-tailed gecko the underwoodisaurus milii, husbandi, and sphyrurus. They are terrestrial geckos(Ground dwelling), from a variety of areas like, wet coastal areas, leaf-covered forests, dry woodlands, to arid scrublands consisting of hard-packed soil(Dirt).

The Barking Geckos (Thick-tailed Geckos) of the family Carphodactylidae live in groups and like to to seek shelter in warm concealed dwellings.

It has been reclassified 22 since its discovery back in 1823. Its scientific name Underwoodisaurus milii was overturned to Nephrurus milii in 1990, then back to U.milii then again to N.milii and is once again back to U.milii and it has been since 2011.

They can grow to around 4 inches from snout-to-vent, with a tail close to that.They can as adults weigh about 14 to 20 grams, some weighing 25 grams.

They are not truly dimorphic, as males and females tend to be of similar size. Preanal pores are absent in males, but their gender is obvious as adult males have disproportionately large hemipenes just under their vent at the underside of the tail base.(Copied as I couldn’t find my own words)

In the wild the geckos have been seen basking in full and shaded sunlight mostly in the afternoon.*

They are a cool climate gecko around the 25-27 degree mark, not tolerating heat above 30 degrees.

Australian barking geckos can be housed in rack systems or in naturalistic terrarium-type habitats. As a general rule, allow a minimum space of 12 inches long by 12 inches wide of surface area per adult barking gecko. Given that they are primarily terrestrial, the height only needs to be 9 to 12 inches tall.(Copied as I couldn’t find my own words)

When the Geckos lay their eggs they will bury them to keep them safe, they won’t stay with them they will just go on their way.

IMPORTANT!: When handling Gecko eggs or any lizard eggs for that matter never turn them over keep them in the position in which they were laid, failing to do this will lead to the air bubble supplying oxygen to the embryo moving and the embryo drowning!(Marking the eggs with texter to show how they were laid will not harm the and will potentially save them from drowning.).

Glass aquariums are quite beneficial, for one when misting the enclosure droplets of water will condense on the walls that the gecko will lick off, and no matter how much water is sprayed the enclosure is unaffected. You do not need lids because the geckos are unable to climb out, also having no lid reduces noise at feeding time, which often makes the geckos hide and, and having no lid provides maximum ventilation.

Since these geckos live in sandy, loamy soil, they don’t have as much of a problem of intestinal impaction like many other species of geckos.So using about half to 1-inch layer or 50% fine-grade, non-silica sand and 50% sifted, sphagnum peat moss (without fertiliser), in the bottom of the enclosure will give a more natural substrate, allowing the gecko to dig and keep appropriate thermal conditions and relative humidity.You must keep the cool side of their enclosure slightly moist by mist with water two to three times a week, letting the gecko lick the water droplets the side walls because they don’t always wants to drink from the bowls.

*Barking geckos eyes are very sensitive and their eyesight weak in bright light so don’t ever expose them to direct sunlight.

They will tolerate small amounts of handling, and when handling the gecko have slow movements, so offer your hand slowly, palm up before picking them up. Do not reach down above them as they may startle thinking it is a predator. NEVER grab their tail, as most lizards do when threatened they will “drop” their tails and when that happens they become vulnerable to infection.

They mainly eat live crickets and roach nymphs. Do not give them anything bigger than three quarters the size of their head otherwise they may choke, baby should be fed 3-4 small crickets or roaches every other day until they grow to two inches in length, then slightly larger prey every other day until they become full-grown in about 12-18 months. Adults can be fed 5-6 larger crickets or roaches every three days. Barking geckos like variety, they do not like eating from bowls much. They will lick moisture from the walls on the cool side of their enclosure after misting, however if you don’t mist then you must provide a water bowl.

Food for your geckos must be dusted with a mixture ultra-fine calcium powder ever 2 or 3 feedings and reptile vitamins once a week.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DUST (BOTH CALCIUM AND REP.VITA):put calcium powder in a zip-lock bag or commercial cricket duster and "dust" live food items prior to feeding by shaking them gently in the bag or container until they are coated. Vitamins should be given weekly using the same method.(Copied as I couldn’t find my own words). WARNING: DO NOT FORGET THE CALCIUM AND VITAMIN OR YOUR GECKO WILL BE PERMANENTLY DISFIGURED OR WILL DIE!

You should feed your live crickets on whole grain cereal, oatmeal, squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, collard greens, and a slice of red potato for water. Roaches should be fed on high protein food like Ferret food.

And if you are going to add new geckos to your colony you must quarantine it for 30-90 days but preferably 90 days. Failure to do so could end up with the transfer of disease or parasites.

HEALTH ISSUES:

• Dehydration

• Mites

• Respiratory infections(Caused by stress, low temp, high humidity and dust from calcium)

• Eye infections

• Mouth rot

LINKS USED: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Australian-Barking-Gecko-Care-Sheet/

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...DH5QKHfooDH4Q_AUICSgA&biw=1022&bih=1055&dpr=2

A Special thanks to The Australian Thick-Tailed Gecko Lovers and Greg Bourke for the help I had from them.

(i live in south-east queensland just above the border of new south whales and thanks for telling me about them not coping on the eastern sea board also i don't know what the eastern sea board is i'm still in school i'm 14.)
Hi Herpersholto, eastern seaboard just means the east coast

Shinglebacks can actually become very fond of people. I had one years ago which used to love people. She'd follow them around and if someone sat on the floor she'd go sit in their lap every time. I let her free range in the place I was living at the time because she was so social. Some friends use to stay over and sleep on the floor because she'd always loveQWas to cuddle up to people while they slept.

Interesting you say that. I was watching a Netflix doco the other day about a zoo keeper and her primary role of caring for the husbandry of the Komodo dragon. Part of the show was documenting play like behaviour in the Komodo. The Komodo was tussling about an item that was non food and the narrator explained that it was showing a clear distinction in comparison to how it would tussle around a prey/food object. Komodo was also retrieving objects hidden in places after receiving an instruction. Not like fetch and bringing it back, in a dog like fashion, more in a 'treasure hunt' style. Again, not food items, but makeshift toys made from wood, plastic rubber, etc. Also pinching things out from (in a cheeky playful manner) the zoo keepers pocket and running off with them. Again, not food items, handkerchiefs, etc. After that the keeper and the Komodo played 'tug of war' with the items. Apparently they have much higher social cognition than originally understood. Narrator said something about it becoming more witnessed also in some the monitors and is now something being more studied because the myth of them not 'playing' or not being 'intelligent' beyond primal function, is being dissolved because of new behaviour being witnessed, or at a minimum doesn't apply to all species of reptile. The explanation was given that because reptile 'play' looks different to mammal play, it had previously gone unrecognised - especially because much of the 'play' (to humans) involved thrashing around an object in its mouth which looked like a killing/feeding behaviour. It was confirmed to be play on the basis that the behaviour utilised no 'purpose' or 'function' for the Komodo. Another example was Komodo playing with a little shovel. Dragging it round in it’s mouth scraping it back & forth over pebbles, apparently because it was amused by the sound that motion was creating.

This particular zoo keeper demonstrated the relationship she has between her and the Komodo in comparison to other zoo keepers who may work with the Komodo win lieu of the primary keeper. There was a complete difference. The play didn't occur with the 'fill in' keeper as it did with the primary. The Komodo did let it care for food and cleaning requirements but wasn't interested in play with the keeper it didn't have a 'relationship' with. Granted the Komodo being documented was captive bred and raised, but still shows higher intelligence and interactive social behaviours with humans, new to what was previously understood in reptiles.

I was blown away :) Perhaps the Komodo (and maybe other reptiles) were failed by us regarding understanding its 'social' and 'play' capacity, because we have our own ideas of what 'social' and 'play' behaviours should look like.

It makes me wonder if ‘intelligence’ in some species of reptile has also not been given enough credit and that some indeed have higher capabilities beyond primal reptilian survival. Guess time and more observation will tell...

Last edited:
i live in south-east queensland just above the border of new south whales and thanks for telling me about them not coping on the eastern sea board also i don't know what the eastern sea board is i'm still in school i'm 14.
[doublepost=1529887603,1529887406][/doublepost]
I know a bit about geckos i did lots of research before I found out about them being so difficult I was doing a report on them here is what I did.

FACTS AND HOW TO CARE.

Barking Geckos are native to Southern Australia, they are terrestrial geckos(Ground dwelling), from a variety of areas like, wet coastal areas, leaf-covered forests, dry woodlands, to arid scrublands consisting of hard-packed soil(Dirt).

Since these geckos live in sandy, loamy soil, they don’t have the problem of intestinal impaction like many other species of geckos.So using about half to 1-inch layer or 50% fine-grade, non-silica sand and 50% sifted, sphagnum peat moss (without fertiliser), in the bottom of the enclosure will give a more natural substrate, allowing the gecko to dig and keep appropriate thermal conditions and relative humidity.You must keep the cool side of their enclosure slightly moist by mist with water two to three times a week, letting the gecko lick the water droplets the side walls because they don’t always wants to drink from the bowls.

They will tolerate small amounts of handling, and when handling the gecko have slow movements, so offer your hand slowly, palm up before picking them up. Do not reach down above them as they may startle thinking it is a predator. NEVER grab their tail, as do all lizards do when threatened they will “drop” their tails and when that happens they become vulnerable to infection.

HEALTH ISSUES:

• Dehydration

• Mites

• Eye infections

• Mouth rot

[doublepost=1529888087][/doublepost]

IfI end up getting one then I wouldn't let it have free range of the house as we have cats my cat I wouldn't worry about it's my mums(he a hunter he once bolted out the door to take on an ibis) i'd worry about but i'd let it run around my room with the door closed is that ok? If I do should I block under my door and chest of draws with my clothes?
[doublepost=1529888351][/doublepost]Mostly my mum persists on me doing more on the project to look at getting one, I won't disobey her so i'm going to research more on it I think it's almost done. :)
[doublepost=1529892622][/doublepost] . Here is what it is now others some pointed stuff out

FACTS AND HOW TO CARE.

Barking Geckos are found all over Australia, there are three sub species off thick-tailed gecko the underwoodisaurus milii, husbandi, and sphyrurus. They are terrestrial geckos(Ground dwelling), from a variety of areas like, wet coastal areas, leaf-covered forests, dry woodlands, to arid scrublands consisting of hard-packed soil(Dirt).

Since these geckos live in sandy, loamy soil, they don’t have as much of a problem of intestinal impaction like many other species of geckos.So using about half to 1-inch layer or 50% fine-grade, non-silica sand and 50% sifted, sphagnum peat moss (without fertiliser), in the bottom of the enclosure will give a more natural substrate, allowing the gecko to dig and keep appropriate thermal conditions and relative humidity.You must keep the cool side of their enclosure slightly moist by mist with water two to three times a week, letting the gecko lick the water droplets the side walls because they don’t always wants to drink from the bowls.

They will tolerate small amounts of handling, and when handling the gecko have slow movements, so offer your hand slowly, palm up before picking them up. Do not reach down above them as they may startle thinking it is a predator. NEVER grab their tail, as most lizards do when threatened they will “drop” their tails and when that happens they become vulnerable to infection.

HEALTH ISSUES:

• Dehydration

• Mites

• Eye infections

• Mouth rot

You seem to have done a bucket load of research on Gecko's... I guess it's time to do the same for Shingleback's and then determine if they are something you'd like to keep..

You could also research several other species like Bearded dragons, Blue Tongues, Pink Tongue Skinks and Cunningham Skinks.

It really comes down to which animal you are interested in and once you know how to look after them, you can then decide (with mums help) which you'd like to keep.

Forgot to add to my post above, I guess in prehistoric reptiles, we have examples of some dinosaurs being of higher intelligence than others (Velociraptor)

Last edited:
….I know a bit about geckos i did lots of research before I found out about them being so difficult I was doing a report on them here is what I did. ….
It is great to see that you are genuinely serious about getting a lizard and prepared to do the research. There is a small book called Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity by John Weigel that is now out of print. It is an excellent general beginner’s guide and a great place to start. You may be able to get a second-hand copy or one on loan from the state library system. There is a range quality Australian authored books available, depending on what you can afford or what species you decide upon.

Reptiles magazine is normally pretty good but there were serious errors in care information provided by it. For example, it is not silica sands that should be avoided but calcium sands. There is no U. husbandi species. They are not a colonial lizard… etc. Barking geckos are really not difficult to keep. The Victorian Herpetological Society has a great care sheet on them but uses the alternative name of Thick-tailed Gecko And the following is really good quality in-depth treatment: http://www.livefoods.com.au/image/data/PDFs/Gekko_4_1_Underwoodisaurus.pdf.

If you really want a lizard you can handle and let roam in your room, then it is really either only a bearded or bluey that would be suitable at this stage. Are you prepared to clean up after them, as the extra moving around stimulates their gut to move its contents along, and that includes empting the colon if there is something in it? Given the water content in the diet, this can be wet and messy.

Follow is a checklist/framework I generated for you so what information you will ultimately need and how to organise it.
Natural History
Habitat occupied in the wild
Habits – brief overview
Housing
Dimensions
Type
Ventilation
Cost & Availability
Heating
Preferred body temperature
Type
Purchase costs
Running costs
Lighting
Type (Basking lamp? UVB?)
Purchase costs
Running costs
Food
Type
Amount & Frequency
Availability
Supplements – types, availability, cost
On-going Costs
Water and Humidity
Preferred humidity range
Water Bowl? – size & cost
Misting? - Where, how much, frequency
Furnishings
Hides – type & cost
Substrate – type & cost
Other requirements e.g. branches, rocks (real or fake?)
Miscellaneous
Compatibility with others
Susceptible to particular diseases/disorders?

Note: Not every section will necessarily apply e.g. most geckos do not need lighting and where you are located would not need separate heating if kept indoors. Some sections may be combined e.g. a basking lamp provides both heat and light.

PS: You can use the "edit" tab (bottom left of your post) to get rid of the doubled up post.

took my little water python out again yesterday, I don't think he likes me as much as I like him. lol.

Maybe he knows you better than you think? Sneaky little critter has probably been keeping an eye on you without you knowing.

I have a caramel hypo bredli jag named Sneaky, he used to strike at me every time I looked away. He's slowly growing out if the habbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back