whats the best substrate for reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayDarling101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody I'm wondering what the best substrate is to use for reptiles. .. any ideas will be appreciated
Cheers, :)

A lot depends on the reptile in question even then there are many options with various advantages and disadvantages. I like newspaper/Bucher's paper for my snakes.

If its for a MD carpet then i reckon either newspaper, Aspen bedding or Coco Coir.

For any reptile I'd say paper towel / newspaper. Although for geckos I hear newspaper isn't good o_O

I like those options though cause of the ease of cleanup!

Ive experimented with many substrates, Ive found newspaper to be most effective.
- Less smell
- Easy to change
- Cost effective

- Doesnt look so good tho

What about brown butchers paper, I got a roll from office works for 12 bucks and it will last me 25-30 changes/cleans.

I have heard raps for kritters crum ble, plan to use it soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krittler crumble is very effective and looks great in your enclosure i personally use that for my snakes and if you get the 'kritters crumble fine' it is better for your snake as 'all things slimy' told me (they are really good at giving reptile advice) they are able to digest kritters crumble fine

What may be appropriate for one species or group of reptiles may not be appropriate for other species or groups. You really need to specify the individual species to get a useable and appropriate range of opinions based on keeper’s experiences with that particular species. There is no single substrate that is best for every type of reptile.

blue

You really need to specify the individual species to get a useable and appropriate range of opinions.

blue

I'm going out on a limb here to assume the post was originated by someone with a Murray darling carpet python based on their username ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newspaper or butcher's paper (newspaper without the print) are probably the best for pythons. You can often buy left over roll ends from printers who do the local newspapers for next to nothing if you don't like print, but you need to cut it to size. You can also get clean paper cut to size from the people who supply butchers & delis. Not expensive.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back