What's the chance these 2 coul d breed this year?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Levold,

Hey brotha. Any reason you weren't able to find a suitable western male to go with her? Did you try Dave at Pilbara pythons?

D

I didnt want to invest so much for a wild caught male, considering that i dont know if my girl is capable of breeding in the first place. I thought it would be wiser to try first with a closer by source. And this guy is a Pilbara WA BHP. He has the right amount of scales on the certain parts of his head.
I did look around for an older model but didn't get any replies. Also the law which makes it hard to get interstate reptiles brought into Victoria without the House address of the seller is another barrier. I had all the import permits printed, and started filling them out, even emailed Pilbara Pythons if they still had that male for sale but didnt get a reply..
Considered getting an adult NT to test her breeding capability out on, but didnt want to 'cross' her with a different 'sub-species'.
Anyway, there isn't a hurry, I can still get another male if I see one about anywhere.

I just had a look it is quite a investment, best of luck find one. Pick up my NT BHP this Weekend can't wait.

I didnt want to invest so much for a wild caught male, considering that i dont know if my girl is capable of breeding in the first place. I thought it would be wiser to try first with a closer by source. And this guy is a Pilbara WA BHP. He has the right amount of scales on the certain parts of his head.
I did look around for an older model but didn't get any replies. Also the law which makes it hard to get interstate reptiles brought into Victoria without the House address of the seller is another barrier. I had all the import permits printed, and started filling them out, even emailed Pilbara Pythons if they still had that male for sale but didnt get a reply..
Considered getting an adult NT to test her breeding capability out on, but didnt want to 'cross' her with a different 'sub-species'.
Anyway, there isn't a hurry, I can still get another male if I see one about anywhere.

Sorry to say but, nothing about that male say "pilbara". Might be a western animal but, it would have come from the eastern side of the Kimberly. Making it more of an NT form. Has no characteristics of animals to the west of the kimberly (other than maybe head scales) But, that alone doesn't make it a western.

I'd look for another male for her.

Just out of interest, can you post a close up picture of his head?

D

Sorry to say but, nothing about that male say "pilbara". Might be a western animal but, it would have come from the eastern side of the Kimberly. Making it more of an NT form. Has no characteristics of animals to the west of the kimberly (other than maybe head scales) But, that alone doesn't make it a western.

D

View attachment 278845
uploadfromtaptalk1358971238508.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

D

Given where it was purchased, I'd doubt its locality specific at all. Even more so WA, some people just aren't willing to pay for good quality animals, and thats what seperates the 'good' breeders from the 'backyarders'.

Given where it was purchased, I'd doubt its locality specific at all. Even more so WA, some people just aren't willing to pay for good quality animals, and thats what seperates the 'good' breeders from the 'backyarders'.

Out of curiosity....:?
If some people aren't willing to pay for good quality animal, maybe due to budget restraints or other factors, as you said. So, how does that seperate the 'good' breeders from the 'backyarders'...??

The way I see it, if I have top quality animals and sell at high price and they don't want to spend the money, thats their problem for whatever reason that may be. Also, If I have a lower 'quality' animals, like a less desirable colour or pattern, so they are therefore cheaper and the customer only has the money to pay for one of those, I am suddenly a backyard breeder....??!!

So I guess if the animal doesn't look as nice or is not worth as much, as it was all I could afford at the time, I am now a backyard breeder. I guess this means I don't look after my ugly unwanted animals as much as my rare and expensive ones....??? :?

No, I'm not talking about cheap animals vs expensive animals. I'm talking about two of the same animals (i.e two WA BHPs on is form a garunteed source of the locality specific animal that you're after, the other is questionable, undersized and cheaper). You end up producing and selling an animal as WA but you have no ability to prove where it was from which simply muddies up an already spiraling quality lines. Someone who wants to breed reptiles with the intention of selling them should not justify the quality of the animals they're wanting to produce just to hurry the process up, it has nothing to do with the price of that species/morph/colour and paterns.

No, I'm not talking about cheap animals vs expensive animals. I'm talking about two of the same animals (i.e two WA BHPs on is form a garunteed source of the locality specific animal that you're after, the other is questionable, undersized and cheaper). You end up producing and selling an animal as WA but you have no ability to prove where it was from which simply muddies up an already spiraling quality lines. Someone who wants to breed reptiles with the intention of selling them should not justify the quality of the animals they're wanting to produce just to hurry the process up, it has nothing to do with the price of that species/morph/colour and paterns.

I just got him, thinking that petstore was reputable and I could use him to try if my girl could infact breed or if she was a dud her breeder didn't want. I am still planning on looking for a proper mate for her down the track if she does prove to be capable of breeding.
Like I said, I tried to get some males from classifieds interstate but they don't want to sell to victoria. And I was already to get a wild male from pilbara pythons. I never planned on keeping this little male as a permanent mate for her. At least he is getting better feedings than where he was.
Also any offspring from these two was not intended to be sold as pure WA BHP's. I can't stand when people do that. I half guess now after some of these comments on here, that the breeder of this guy crossed a pilbara WA and a NT local together and called it a pilbara WA.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

- - - Updated - - -

Is that a whole load of tape inside the enclosure? =\

Thanks for reminding me. Just took it out. Had it in there to hold the thermometer up as she kept knocking it off the hook last summer. Just read a thread about tape being bad for snakes last week while researching about heat cord use.

Last edited:
And I just got him, thinking that petstore was reputable and I could use him to try if my girl could infact breed or if she was a dud her breeder didn't want. .

You're game buying from a petshop and not following strict quarantine...

From looking at his head structure, how far the black extends down his neck and, the type of body banding....I'd have to say he's an NT form. Now it's possible he could be what you suspect....a pilbara, NT cross.

Not a big deal if you had an average female.

You don't....you have something very special and, it would be worth it to you in the long run to find the perfect male to put her with.
You've already had a lot of interest when you posted that female originally. By getting her the proper male....you will create much more demand for her animals than using a non local specific male to breed her with.

Take your time and find the right male....it will be so much more "worth it" if you do.

I wouldn't worry about her "breeding possibility"....she'll be fine and, you don't have to be in a hurry. Getting them to breed and lay eggs is easy....it's hatching the darn things that's the headache and subject to human error.

Cheers and good luck. Keep in touch with Dave or try to contact Neil Sonnemann....he was in vic if I remember correctly and also hatched and sold some 80 mile beach animals at one time. Maybe some still left in Vic?

D

From looking at his head structure, how far the black extends down his neck and, the type of body banding....I'd have to say he's an NT form. Now it's possible he could be what you suspect....a pilbara, NT cross.

Hey Derek

What is it about the head structure, and the length of black on the head and banding that would separate pilbara from the rest?

If you go back and look at Levolds picture of them together, you can see a big difference in appearance. I'm not speaking of color but, banding, etc.
Most of the pilbaras, 80 mile beach, broome animals bands are almost in 3 pieces.. where the pattern on the backbone looks more separated from the side bands. Sometimes you will get X and small Z patterns along the sides...more than on most other locales. Also the Pilbaras and west Kimberley animals have more bands overall.

Levolds males bands come up and over...more like 2 separate bands on each side, meeting at the back bone (this is also present on the west coast animal but, usually toward the back end).

Most all the pilbara forms I've seen (both live and photo's) have a pointier face....more elapid looking because of the overall larger single frontal and posterior prefrontals. The main difference being in the larger/Flatter supra oculars giving the Pilbara forms an "evil eye" look. Haha. (they don't look "sweet" like some of the queenlands and NT forms)
Most also have a very short "collar". Only extending 3/4 to an inch down the neck.

Animals further north into broome and east into the west Kimberly's seem to start blending more with the animals on the east side but, the characteristics of the pilbara animal are very consistent.

Yeah, you see some with bolder bands, darker bands, light ground color, etc.....but overall, their look is very consistent. I haven't seen everything out there obviously but, I have over 300 locale pictures from out west and they all have a very consistent look.

Take a look at Dave's available page and then look at the 2 animals Levold has. (Dave does have a Kununurra local on the list and, as you can see....shares more similarities with Levolds male as Kununurra is close to the NT boarder). But all the other are very similar in appearance. Some have darker bands, thinner bands but, the overall look is there.
Don't see that in Levolds male.

Here are a few of my captives to compare...

DSC06192.jpg

DSC05751.jpg

victoria1.jpg

DSC05525.jpg

Cheers,
D

at least if the little male cant find the right spot he looks small enough to just quickly slip in look around locate the right spot pop out and have another crack at it......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back