Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazordous-Herps

Reaction score
Hey, I am thinking about getting a new snake soon. And would like to know from you experienced people of APS what snake is the best to feed and handle. Out of a Coastal, Olive, Black Headed Darwin carpet, water python or a cape York carpet. This probably seems stupid, but I would like your options on these snakes.:)

I think it's all down to how often you handle them, How you handle them and how old they are....

It comes down the individual snake. All of them could tolerate handling and be great feeders, and then you could just get the odd one out that is psycho or a fussy feeder. What you should look at more is what you think you could handle when full grown, including the size of enclosure and how much it would eat.

It comes down the individual snake. All of them could tolerate handling and be great feeders, and then you could just get the odd one out that is psycho or a fussy feeder. What you should look at more is what you think you could handle when full grown, including the size of enclosure and how much it would eat.

I completely agree with this. I have Three Pythons, two are Murray Darlings and one is a Jungle.

Jungles are known to be snappy and aggressive. But that has not been the case with mine at all. And it is an awesome feeder.

One of my MDs is a great feeder and calm as. The other is a fussy feeder and was rather snappy and aggressive to start with but has settled down quite well. Still fussy about his feeding though.

Death adder perfect first snake....

Nah i reckon all the carpets that are over bred and cheap are all good just get one as a hatchy..

When we buy a kitten or a puppy we chose the one that 'clicks' with us The one that appealsto us; sometimes an unknown reason But we buy snakes for their looks Go see a few and choose the one that 'clicks'

Most carpets are snappy as hatchlings, but they tend to calm down as they grow up, womas and blackheads are prob some of the most none aggressive snakes i have met BUT they are ferocious so theres always a risk of getting bitten when taking them out, until they know its not food, water and olive pythons are fairly docile even WC animals but get quite large ;)

Get a scrubby, they are calm, quiet feeders and they don't get too big so they are easy to handle. Also don't believe everything you read. Sometimes it is best to look at the individual snakes and pick one you like.

Get a scrubby, they are calm, quiet feeders and they don't get too big so they are easy to handle. Also don't believe everything you read. Sometimes it is best to look at the individual snakes and pick one you like.
You have to be taking the piss? Scrubby calm quiet feeder and don't get too big seriously. Yes some scrubbies are really placid and calm but not small, that said no snake you be underestimated especially a snake that large.

Last edited:
None of the above, outside of feeding time, womas are the most placid snakes going round IMO

Thanks everyone this will not have been my first snake, I was just seeing what you guys think. So thanks for the good advice. I think I will go with what MrHerps said and get a scrubie as from what he said they sound like the calmest snakes around. (Joking)

allens killer pythons. don't let the name fool you they are super calm.

but the calmest in my collection would be my spotteds so like has been said its all depending on the snake

When we buy a kitten or a puppy we chose the one that 'clicks' with us The one that appealsto us; sometimes an unknown reason But we buy snakes for their looks Go see a few and choose the one that 'clicks'
+1 its a pet, your gonna handle it, its not a display only animal, so pick one you think is FOR YOU not just something that other tell you to get

You have to be taking the piss? Scrubby calm quiet feeder and don't get too big seriously. Yes some scrubbies are really placid and calm but not small, that said no snake you be underestimated especially a snake that large.

Yes I was just making a point. Hence why I said, "don't believe everything you read"

Didn't you get that the comment was sarcastic. hence the reason he said, "Also, dont believe anything you read"

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back