Whats this snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illium

Reaction score
From Menangle NSW.
My dad said his caught a few of them. Really not up on the snake identification. Might be good to tell the doctor what is is when one finally tags him.

snake_zpsce68c056.jpeg

its a juvenile eastern brown snake...
tell him to be careful around them

thought it might be. Iv told him for years, he doesnt listen.
My son is the bigger worry, no fear when it comes to reptiles ans inverts, no matter how hard i try an drill it into him to get an adult first.

That ‘little critter’ packs enough fire-power to easily kill an adult. And the fangs are capable of piercing unprotected skin to inject the venom subcutaneously. Hatchling browns actually have been responsible for a number of fatal bites and should be accorded the same respect as a larger brown snake.

You might also like to let him know that they come in an unbanded version as well. The head and nape are exactly the same – they just lack the thin bands along the body. You can get both colour forms out of the same clutch of eggs.

Blue

My dog (a large Doberman) was bitten by a juvenile brown snake and it bit him several times. Not sure if this is true but the vet told us that this (multiple bites) is typical of juvenile browns making them especially dangerous , maybe an expert can clarify this point. I saw our dog in the paddock barking at a tuft of grass and called him over and he got about 10 meters and collapsed, I raced over and carried him back to the house and raced him off to the vets and he survived. He was very lucky to survive apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back