Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekans

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What's that one native snake, lizard, invertebrate etc that you want to someday own but your skill, its care is slightly intimidating or its rarity is holding you back? :)

What's that one native snake, lizard, invertebrate etc that you want to someday own but your skill, its care is slightly intimidating or its rarity is holding you back? :)
Green Tree Python. Tho i have bit the bullet and am grabbing my first this weekend.
1d016a1369521a592de70f3df8660496.jpg
this is her...

Good on you for taking that step :)

Albino Darwin Carpet Python
Diamond Carpet Python
Rough Knob Tailed Gecko
Short-Tail Pygmy Monitor

Perentie.
I'm not sure my cajones will ever be big enough.

Albino olive, skill level just ain't there yet

I'd like a lot of pairs of our wonderful and unique lizards. Too bad I don't have the space to house them adequately or a spare room I can dedicate to them.

Also a big obstacle is the cost of buying these lizards (skinks, geckos, dragons and small monitors).

I'd really love a pair of shingleback skinks (they seem from what I've read about them in posts by people who have them as pets be wonderful pets), and yes a pair of smaller insectonivorous monitors would be great (but I'm not sure my reptile husbandry skills are there yet, and they are pretty expensive).

- - - Updated - - -

Green Tree Python. Tho i have bit the bullet and am grabbing my first this weekend.
1d016a1369521a592de70f3df8660496.jpg
this is her...

beautiful .... just beautiful .... I'd have a snake as a pet, but I think my wife would move out, she's terrified of snakes.

Scrub python, but biggest aim right now is a top quality female pure Montgomery Palmerston, but can't find any pure Montgomery's for sale.

Would have to be a saltwater crocodile for me. Of all the Australian reptiles they would have to interest me the most. After previously working with them in a captive setting, they just demand so much more respect than any other reptile in Australia (coastal taipans and large monitors are up there though). Their behaviour is also extremely interesting to observe. Main thing stopping me from owning one is the current Queensland licensing laws and room for a large one.
Ah well, I think they maybe a species I will just have to settle with conducting research on.

Cheers, Cameron.

Psuedemoias. A couple of species are on the vic Schedule but no one actually keeps them! I could imagine how cool an arboreal setup for P. spenceri would be.

There are plenty but it's mainly my mum holding me back. Number one would be an olive Python but I also want a black headed Python, rough scaled Python, green tree Python, green tree snake, boydes forest dragon, jewelled gecko and maybe a bredli

Definitely a Green tree python one day. I'd also love a Boyd's forest dragon once I am more confident with my skills

Would have to be a saltwater crocodile for me. Of all the Australian reptiles they would have to interest me the most. After previously working with them in a captive setting, they just demand so much more respect than any other reptile in Australia (coastal taipans and large monitors are up there though). Their behaviour is also extremely interesting to observe. Main thing stopping me from owning one is the current Queensland licensing laws and room for a large one.
Ah well, I think they maybe a species I will just have to settle with conducting research on.

Cheers, Cameron.
You might need to move to Darwin for a few years. ...i held numerous salties and my mate now has one of them now.... and she is around 3.5mtrs long... miss her a lot at times... never trusted her tho either

Last edited:
You might need to move to Darwin for a few years. ...i held numerous salties and my mate now has one of them now.... and she is around 3.5mtrs long... miss her a lot at times... never trusted her tho either ������
May have to eventually. Will have to see what ends up happening after I finish honours next year and where I can get accepted to do research that interests me. May not be able to own then but I do get to look forward to hopefully spending a month trapping them next year for the study.
Nice she sounds like a decent sized girl now. Largest I worked with was a four meter male, and he was dodgy at times. As you say, they are never something I have ever trusted.

Cheers, Cameron

Definitely a Green Tree Snake. Stunning animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black and high white diamond Python, always has been always will be. I recently just found one as well lucky me.

Tough choice, but in terms of things with intimidating care, it would probably be monitors, or some of the rainforest species (hypsilurus, GTPs, Carphos, Leaftails, the northern Oedura, tryoni, Gnypetoscincus etc) and Pseudothecadactylus

Agreed anything requiring special humidity would be a bit trickier. Don't think we'll ever have the room for a crocodile. And large monitors don't intimidate me; my choice would be elapids.

RBB. Don't really want vens in the house because kids... It's not a lack of confidence I could keep it securely, simply the "what-ifs" that get in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back