Where do all the old snakes go?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahScales

Reaction score
It's a thought that has been bugging me for quite a while so I thought I would put it to the forum.

You see plenty of 1-4 year old snakes around, plenty in the sales and picture threads. But what happens to all of the older models? These captive bred animals are meant to be able to survive 15 years plus, where do they all go? Where are all the 9-15 year old animals? Hundreds ( if not thousands) of snakes are bred every year in Australia but it isn't such a massive hobby... I was just wondering...

Where do all the snakes go?

in my opinion once a snake has been with you for over 5 years+ i would not want to sell it. they do pop up now and then but not often

Unfortuantly a lot of them are sold as 4-6 year old breeders even if the animals are 10years plus

Deffiantly not trying to say everyone or even majority do it, but it is a common thing.

Thats one of the reasons a lot of people prefer to purchase hatchling snakes

Love that question Sarahscales. Got no answer for you tho.
Maybe it's like having a partner for a long time, you don't really talk about them they are just there as a part of your life?

Hopefully they are living out their retirement days in peace. And maybe not mentioned too much, a bit like a faithful old dog. Always there

Lots of people get really keen when they first get into a hobby and post loads of pics, buy and sell etc. Once the novelty wears off many people drift off into other things and, even if they are still keeping all their animals, they stop posting pictures and don't frequent websites like this one as much as they did in the initial phases.

There would be a certain amount of mortality as well but most people won't post about that as it can be construed as a 'failure' if an animal in your care dies and they would prefer not to advertise it widely.

I'm sure there are other reasons too.

IMO people dont sell older animals because you grow attached to them, if you had 500 snakes I'm sure you would have a connection to the animals that have been in your care for 10+ years. I doubt anyone would sell an animal like that, even to open that cage and there a different snake in there I wouldnt like it. But then again I am an introvert and different to most people.

Yeah Im going to go with everyone else on this one. I have a stimmy that I have had for about 4-5 years now. Even at that I am way to attached to see anything happen to it. I just think once they are at that age they are either attached to an owner or haven't been a proven breeder as of yet and are valueless at that age.
P.S Before people flare up at me. Im not saying if a snake can't breed it is worthless, I'm just saying at that age only breeders would want it and if its not proven. Bingo!

same, same, i lost a 14 yo carpet last year that i'd had since a baby, very sad. quite a few others ive had for years and will be with me till they leave this world. theyre part of the family and you get attached to them. breeders or non breeders. I really believe thats why you dont hear about them as much

I have wondered that myself as you hear of all these people with pythons 10years +, but the oldest one I have seen for sale is 7years. I just always thought people would either be too attached and find a way to keep them even if their situation changes or sell them as a "4 year old" ready to breed.

Also more often then not you will find some people let close friends have some older animals that they don't need for there breedings anymore and give someone who has only been in the hobby a short amount of time an animal that they know will breed quite easily. That is how i was after learning HEAPS off of a few people i got to know quite well and they would offer me animals first instead of openly trying to sell a good quality animal they have had for years.

Unfortuantly a lot of them are sold as 4-6 year old breeders even if the animals are 10years plus

Deffiantly not trying to say everyone or even majority do it, but it is a common thing.

Thats one of the reasons a lot of people prefer to purchase hatchling snakes

I just prefer a hatchling because then I have it from day dot, and I'm not inheriting someone elses problems, which is what I had with the Coastal we got. Previous ownder only ever fed him live mice - BAH was a drama and a lot of waiting and stuffing around getting him onto thawed rats. Not saying I wouldn't buy and older one again just saying I prefer the hatchlings for this reason. That and I like watching them grow up :)

same, same, i lost a 14 yo carpet last year that i'd had since a baby, very sad. quite a few others ive had for years and will be with me till they leave this world. theyre part of the family and you get attached to them. breeders or non breeders. I really believe thats why you dont hear about them as much

Oh, sorry you lost your snake, that would be really tough after having it for 14 years. :(

I think it is more that people show off their latest and greatest - Species/colour morph or newest addition to the collection and with the older animals the keeper has had them for years but dont have the urge to put pics up as they are just the run of the mill Carpet for example. Lets change this..... here's a pic of my first snake I purchased and this year she will turn 15 and still in my care ( funnily enough not a recent pic lol )

Attachments

• DSC01769.jpg
    DSC01769.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01775.jpg
    DSC01775.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 76
Nice python mate, i love how dark the coloration is.

I think it is more that people show off their latest and greatest - Species/colour morph or newest addition to the collection and with the older animals the keeper has had them for years but dont have the urge to put pics up as they are just the run of the mill Carpet for example. Lets change this..... here's a pic of my first snake I purchased and this year she will turn 15 and still in my care ( funnily enough not a recent pic lol )

I know a bloke with an olive python that is 31 years old. It is certainly showing it's age and heading down hill these days, but definitely a testament to his care and devotion and shows how long these animals can live if given a good life.

Well I know where at least one of them is. About ten feet from me :) Picked her up on Friday. 10 year old (ok maybe not ancient) female Bredli. Lovely creature! I agree with the above comments though. I think it's simply the newness wears off and although they are still important to the owner, they don't necessarily feel the need to show them off any more. This girl is brand new to me though so I'll be showing her off plenty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back