Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would have to say a srubby. i cant believe their growth rate i used to think olives were the fastest in oz, but i think the srcub would definetely be the fastest in oz and definetely the fastest carpet

i would have to say a srubby. i cant believe their growth rate i used to think olives were the fastest in oz, but i think the srcub would definetely be the fastest in oz and definetely the fastest carpet
Is a scrubby even a carpet?

Is a scrubby even a carpet?

Scrub Python- Morelia kinghorni / Morelia amethistin (dont hold me on spelling)

Judging by the fact it has Morelia in the first half of its scientific name I would say its a carpet ;)

Olive pythons arnt Carpets :)

So that also makes Morelia viridis and M. carinata carpet pythons aswell???

Scrub Python- Morelia kinghorni / Morelia amethistin (dont hold me on spelling)

Judging by the fact it has Morelia in the first half of its scientific name I would say its a carpet ;)

Ah but, I do not think the genus represents wether or not they are actually carpets. They get the name carpet from the pattern of the scale. Oenpelli’s, GTP and Rough Scaled pythons all come under the Morelia genus, yet they aren’t considered carpets.

Morelia spilota is the fastest growing carpet python, it would be fair to say those from populations that obtain a larger size would typically grow quicker. Who says a scrub python is a carpet python?

scrubby is not a carpet,carpets are all Morelia spilota species but save the diamond

Isn’t the diamond the original carpet (Morelia spilota spilota)? The first one discovered in fact, in 1804. Wait actually, maybe it was the first one discovered, but then separated into a sub-species... Help me out here...

why dose some have just 1 spilota and like the diamond have 2 Morelia spilota spilota?

Because the Diamond was the first one discovered, and it was called Morelia spilota. Then when others were discovered the diamond was separated into a new sub-species and called Morelia (genus) spilota (species) spilota (sub-species). While others were in there own sub. As well Morelia (genus) spilota (species) and then sub-species of eg. metcalfei, variegata, mcdowelli, etc.
A sub- species is basically a species that has separated from the main species and has slight differences in the original, but not enough to be considered a completely different species. For example, the wedge-tailed eagle, there is the mainland version, then there is the sub-species in Tasmania. The tassy version has a slight difference in appearance to wedgies on the mainland as they were separated when tassy separated from the mainland but are still considered a wedgie. When they get separated over time they begin to change to suit the area they live in, therefore created what’s called a sub-species.
So the Diamond being the first Morelia spilota discovered was made spilota spilota after the other sub-species were discovered.
Does that all make sense?

Because the Diamond was the first one discovered, and it was called Morelia spilota. Then when others were discovered the diamond was separated into a new sub-species and called Morelia (genus) spilota (species) spilota (sub-species). While others were in there own sub. As well Morelia (genus) spilota (species) and then sub-species of eg. metcalfei, variegata, mcdowelli, etc.
A sub- species is basically a species that has separated from the main species and has slight differences in the original, but not enough to be considered a completely different species. For example, the wedge-tailed eagle, there is the mainland version, then there is the sub-species in Tasmania. The tassy version has a slight difference in appearance to wedgies on the mainland as they were separated when tassy separated from the mainland but are still considered a wedgie. When they get separated over time they begin to change to suit the area they live in, therefore created what’s called a sub-species.
So the Diamond being the first Morelia spilota discovered was made spilota spilota after the other sub-species were discovered.
Does that all make sense?

Makes perfect sense to me, thanks for explaining that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back