Which wood for an enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brisbaneboy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am getting read to build 2 enclosures for my jungles and wantnto go for the natural wood look but painted inside can any one suggest a good wood and also would plywood be ok it's just I have heard u need to seal it with non toxic sealer can I still put a stain on that or does it go on before the sealer .. I'm not very good with all this paint and varnish stuff but have a mate who is going to help one I get the materials any advice would be great thanks

Any soft wood lumber would work. If you want to be extra precautions though, stay away from pine and cedar, the oils that give these woods their trademark aromas can actually cause respiratory problems to animals living in it. However as long as you use sealer or polyurethane on any of the exposed wood you should be fine.

Aspen on the other hand is a completely save wood to use, however may cost a bit more per piece.

Any interior plywood works fine. I'd stay away from marine ply, a lot of extra nasties used to manufacture it. Any water based stain is fine and sealed with something like Cabot's water-based polyurethane is your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back