White Lipped Island Pit Viper????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Longi,

Trimersurus was broken up about 5 years ago. Since then many species such as poperum, albolabris etc have split up into a number of species.

Cheers
scott

Longi,

Trimersurus was broken up about 5 years ago. Since then many species such as poperum, albolabris etc have split up into a number of species.

Cheers
scott

Thanks Scott
Looks like I better buy a book one day?
Damn
Rather catch slitherers than read about them

Peter

Hi all,

I stand corrected following my post, a mate sent me a paper that has put insularis back into Trimeresurus (it is actually the type species for genus). It also recommended a number of the genera proposed by Malthora and Thorpe to be sub genera for a clear understanding of the relationships between Asian Pit Vipers.

I suppose it comes back to taxonomists change their opinion based of evidence at hand and as a result things are far from stable.

Cheers
scott

It used to be a subspecies of Trimeresurus albolabris, but was given species status in 2001 - Trimeresurus insularis. The whole Trimeresurus genus was then revised in 2004, during which T.insularis was assigned to Cryptelytrops, hence Cryptelytrops insularis.

More recently (2011), another revision has taken place, with most species being put back into the genus Trimeresurus, including C.insularis. So, currently, the correct name for this species is back to being Trimeresurus insularis.

Thanks Scott

Now another question
Is the Island variety just Trimeresurus insularis.or is it back to Trimeresurus albolabris insularis

Hi longi,

The specimens from Bali are Trimeresurus insularis.

Cheers
Scott

Thanks Scott

Its fairly important we get the information right even though there is not much difference
Just wish they wouldnt play games and switch things around

Peter

longqi...just to throw in my 2.6 cents if you are playing around with T. insularis (or anyone else) they should be aware that the venom is nasty - stating the obvious, but what I am getting at is it is worse than the others. The AV (GPV) is not really that effective at the best of times (although arguably better than nothing), but in the case of T. insularis being more isolated there is a greater divergence so the AV is even less effective. At least that is my memory/understanding of the situation.

Or to put it another way the AV is for "Green Pit Vipers", but T.insularis is less like the others.

Not wanting to rain on any picnic but some things are better to know up front. Still love the Pit Vipers even though they have a bad habit of popping up from nowhere. (Or more honestly me walking along day dreaming then a sudden...whoa s%^$...)

Probably the cause of more bites in Bali than any other snake
Very defensive and we are finding too many inside houses at the present time
Mostly big females and the fangs are huge for such a relatively small snake
We cleared 14 mixed sizes from one small area of bush in a resort here last week
Hard to find in daylight or full moon as they hide away
But easy most nights as they feed in the trees and stand out light bulbs when you hit them with a torch
Wet season coming up and they are all on the move lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back