Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breust_x

Reaction score
I've never kept frogs before.
The red-eyed looks amazing but is small! I like the size of the white-lipped.
I know you shouldn't handle frogs too much, but if possible I would like to occasionally.
The size of the terrarium is 45x45x60cm tall.
I'd like a pair of frogs, but not to intentionally breed, just for company lol.

If you're a first time frog owner, it's probably the safest option to go for Green Tree Frogs, whilst they're not as exotic as the species you had in mind, they can make some really great companions and are comfortable with being held. I have a White-Lipped at the moment, she's very nervous when it comes to being handled so I don't make a habit of it, and has more particular requirements as far as temperature etc.

Once you get the hang of caring for your frogs, you can always opt for some more interesting species of frog as well, and depending on the type you can add them to a larger tank altogether.

I mean exotic as in less common as pets

oh exotic more or less means from overseas, less common or uncommon but personally it was harder for me to get my Whites tree frogs than to get a red eye(litoria chloris) or white-lip(litoria inferefeneta)

Maybe so in Sydney, I haven't found a trace of them (red-eyes) down in Melbourne! Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough...

The Australian Red-eyed tree frog is found in Gosford area/forests and the Whites Tree frog is found pretty much anywhere in Aus, but the White lipped tree frog is found in northern Queensland if i remember rightly.
But any Breust_x i recommend either; Red eyed tree frog (litoria chloris), White's tree frog (litoria caerulea), white lipped tree frog (litoria infrafenata) or perons tree frog (litoria peronii)

If you have an escape proof enclosure I hear Litoria fallax are pretty easy to keep as well. All the species so far mentioned are good starter species.

i saw a bunch of red eyed tree frogs on gumtree.com.au a few months back in victoria, haven't heard of any going around since though. i believe they are quite hard to find in victoria, also they require an advanced lisence.

The Australian Red-eyed tree frog is found in Gosford area/forests and the Whites Tree frog is found pretty much anywhere in Aus, but the White lipped tree frog is found in northern Queensland if i remember rightly.
But any Breust_x i recommend either; Red eyed tree frog (litoria chloris), White's tree frog (litoria caerulea), white lipped tree frog (litoria infrafenata) or perons tree frog (litoria peronii)
L.chloris range starts around Ourimbah (just north of Gosford) and extends to Townsville, L.caerulea: File:Caerulea Distribution.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back