White-Lipped Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzdan

Reaction score
Hi, Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the White-Lipped Snake. My girl friend accidentally uncovered one in the wild the other week. Took a while to identify but when we realised it was harmles we were dissapointed we didn't spend more time with it. They are a beautiful little snake only i can't find info on their husbandry. Can any one help? I've heard that they might be Very hard to Ween... Anyone?

Not alot of info out there. Not sure if anyone actually keeps them anymore..

i had them many years ago basicly hard to ween of skinks because mine were wild caught eventually found they would take pinkie mouse cut in half lengthways to much trouble

who said live feeding and how else do you think we got snakes twenty years ago Pet Shops

Here is a pic of the litte guy. BTW found him at bout 1200 meters in the southern corner of the New England, NSW. The Mrs said he fitted the bill to become a pet, 'small, pretty and cute'. But if they are too hard to look after she'll have to keep looking. Strange that they are on the Class 1 licence in NSW if they are difficult.
Thaks for your thoughts.

View attachment 235807

Small elapids shouldn't be taken on a whim, they are generally a lot of work.

Small elapids shouldn't be taken on a whim, they are generally a lot of work.

Good point. Its not like i'm going to buy one tomorrow. The reserch will continue. But its seems strange, as i said, they can be kept on a basic licence in NSW.

who said live feeding and how else do you think we got snakes twenty years ago Pet Shops

Haha..no, we have knowledgeable & responsible breeders to thank. Apparently you also had some.

Haven't seen any of these offered up for sale in Ages, muzdan- not sure if that's because of high or low demand. Might be worth your time emailing a couple of the better breeders and asking them directly.

Haven't seen any of these offered up for sale in Ages, muzdan- not sure if that's because of high or low demand. Might be worth your time emailing a couple of the better breeders and asking them directly.

Will do, thanks.

There are not to many on the books on the mainland.
If you lived in Tassie you would be able to keep them but they can be tricky, specially the babies which really need a supply of baby skinks to feed on.
When i used to keep them I managed to get them eating pinkies and there is a trick to that to.Involves a chopped up skink and a live pinky mouse and it is not pretty.
I would not recommend them as a captive for inexperienced keepers.
But they are very pretty snakes and, while considered harmless by csiro, they do have venom and it potentially could cause problems if bitten by one.

Like most small elapids, they aren't technically challenging at all, easy to house and easy to feed & keep - IF you have access to skinks for food. Most of these secretive, small species readily adapt to captivity if you have a supply of the appropriate food, and you generally don't need all the extra gear that we do for larger snakes - no heat sources or thermostats, because they live in sheltered, cool places and rarely bask - otherwise they become Kookaburra food.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back