WhiteTail Spiders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumpage44

Reaction score
Good Day to you all :)

Last night i caught a big white tail spider and instead of killing it, i search on the net on how to keep them. Apparently their favorite food is Black house spiders :) So i went out and caught one and took a video of it being eaten!

Heres the video: [video=youtube;4BFAEN5ao5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFAEN5ao5k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFAEN5ao5k[/video]

Also i'm thinking about handling it, has anyone ever been bitten by a white tail?

Also i understand if anyone thinks this is 'Cruel' but people kill spiders like this every day and these too would meet in the wild anyway, much like a rat and a snake.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the house spider. But that is a huge white tip, looks like it is full of eggs.

I have one two I keep in in a two Foot aqarium And fed it Slaters and Spides as a Treat!
DO NOT HANDLE THEM!!! There venom is Necrosis (Melts flesh away)

Hmmm okay, well ill handle it with gloves first and see how aggressive she is. I will take a video of that :)

i have been bitten.... i would not recommend handling this spider!

it was not painful the day of the bite... however i noticed a big irregular red looking bite.
The next day it started to sting and burn, by the afternoon i was in agony, huge welts and puss filled blisters rose up where the red mark had been. The blisters just keep rising, it seemed as though the skin could not stretch any further, and me beuing me, i ended up pricking them, and draining them to ease the pressure. it took nearly a week and a half to even begin scabbing up, and i still have the scar.

i will get a pic of the scar if you are interested.

i also believe that if you are allergic to the bacteria on this spiders fangs it causes more problems and the wound may never heal... dont quote me on that there has been some argument about it... i will try to find out some more for you.

i also believe that if you are allergic to the bacteria on this spiders fangs it causes more problems and the wound may never heal... dont quote me on that there has been some argument about it... i will try to find out some more for you.

I remember seeing some woman on TV in an oxgyen tent due to a white tailed spider bite, im sure they said she will spend most of her life in there now, just from 1 bite !!

Someone on here put pics of a bite they got from a suspected white tail last year around christmas - use the search function and see what you come up with - that will certainly make you think twice about handling your white tail... then... hmmmmm... If you do - keep photos ready!

From what I understand it's not the venom but the necrotising bacteria (can't spell the correct word for it) that causes the main concern.

I have been bitten by one as well, and found their bite to be highly over-rated, painless bite, and painless after. It did burn some what, but nothing bad. The bite started off as a ten cent peice size blister with a dark red ring around the outside ( formed as it was eating the healthy skin),. The tissue in the middle would dry out and go scabby, then start weeping again, then dry out, then................ over three days untreated it had grown to the size of a fifty cent piece. I used an anti fungal cream and that knocked it on the head, it only took about 2 weeks to clear up, though there was a red mark for many months that has now faded away. As with all venoms, people can suffer highly varied symptoms and you can never be sure how you will react to such things, and there is always the rare risk of necrotising arachnidism with such spiders, and that will ruin your day for sure.

Good luck trying.....My brother inlaw got biten on the leg 5 years ago and he still has to wear some thing on his leg. They opperated about 6 months ago now and its finally starting to heel.

Lol well i just went and handled it with gloves with no problems, but while i was doing that a black house spider bite my arm :(

pict0005cv7.jpg

How did you manage to get bitten ont the arm,thought you were handling the white tip

LOL... I've seen on documentries don't ask which i can't remember people have had limbs amputated from very bad reactions to the bites. At first the doctors cut away the bad tissue but the skin kept dying so they took a good chunk of the limb. A woman was bitten at the top af her arm and the reaction not only went down the arm but the torso as well it took months to heal and many ops and skin grafts. So if you do get bit i pray you're not one of the unlucky ones to have a bad reaction... Enjoy your new pet spiders are cool

therse a lot of debate over the white tip, mostly due to lack of research and the wide variety of the reactions. some people who are bitten show no signs other then the usual red welt of a bug/spider bite, where as others experience sever necrotization. As some people have posted the flesh seems to melt away and for some reason wont ever heal properly, flaring up at random intervals. Handling a white tip is not advised anyways. I find them every now and then but just throw them outside.

in any case, poor little house spider, he must have been thinking...."*** is with this usb cable! why is it pushing me into the mouth of death...NOOOOoooooo....."

Lol well i just went and handled it with gloves with no problems, but while i was doing that a black house spider bite my arm :(
Looks suspiciously like a mozzie bite mate, you can see where the red lines have come up from you scratching it ;)

As for the white tail bite, like everyone else has said, there is a possbility of you suffering some nasty necrosis. Wouldn't risk it that can ruin your entire life.

i thought alot of the confusion over the severity of the white tails venom/bacteria et al was that alot of the "minor" white tail bites are really house spider bites... due to them looking very similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back