WhiteTail Spiders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also possible that venom toxicity could vary across the range of the spider, maybe those in Melbourne have developed a more potent venom, or maybe the necrotising bacteria only occur in colder climates?

Just a thought

:p

HIx

My mother in law was bitten over 12 months ago and she still gets recurring skin problems, has to go on antibiotics everytime is recurs. Not something I would risk just to handle one of them.

there just like wolf spiders there venom eats at ya flash til you get sick plus gangrene set's in also and its festy *pukes a lil in mouth*

that looks like a mozzie bite. anyway who said its giong to bite you. it may not it mite just walk around on your hand. one way to find out. just go gently . i wonder if they just like walk up and bite ya or do you have to taste like their food. i think alot of bites happen when its in peoples clothing and they put them on. but i really dont know let me know if when you put it on your hand does it bite you straight away or just walks around .
cheers steve

It's also possible that venom toxicity could vary across the range of the spider, maybe those in Melbourne have developed a more potent venom, or maybe the necrotising bacteria only occur in colder climates?

Just a thought

:p

HIx

Well there are two Sp. of whitetails

Just thought i would share some pics when a white tail spider bit me 2 years ago, i ended up having it deberred and then cultured seaweed put into the hole which was the size of a 5c piece and about 10mm deep.
A wifes tail say that in one year later you will get another lump on your body from the bite, well i said bullsheet and within a week there was another lump but this time i had it under control.
I didnt realise that i got biten and just thought it was a scratch then about 1 week later it got really red and started to burn , then nearly over night the large lump appeard and thats when i went to to doc.

Attachments

• variuos pics maccas arm 002.jpg
    variuos pics maccas arm 002.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 68
  • variuos pics maccas arm 003.jpg
    variuos pics maccas arm 003.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 67
  • variuos pics maccas arm 029.jpg
    variuos pics maccas arm 029.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 60
  • variuos pics maccas arm 031.jpg
    variuos pics maccas arm 031.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 60
  • variuos pics maccas arm 036.jpg
    variuos pics maccas arm 036.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 52
a lady that comes into my work got bitten on the hand by a white tail while cleaning her house.....

...she is now the one armed lady that comes into my shop!

They are bad news, I know someone who was bitten on the calf muscle, after a few days it looked like his leg was being cooked over a spit.

Depends on the affect on that person....everyone can be different!

My Mum was bitten a couple of years ago by a White Tail. And yes, it was a WT. It was inside the leg of her pants and when it bit her she squashed it and put it in a jar. She had the same as someone else described, as a small irritated area that kept swelling more and more. She squeezed the puss out and thought it would get better. WRONG!!! A couple of days later we had to take her to the hospital, because her flesh was sort of .. decaying, for want of a better word.

The doctor told us that it wasn't "individual's reactions" to the bite.. but in fact the spiders themselves. According the the doctor that treated my mum, it is a bacteria carried on the fangs of the spider that is the problem. Apparently, not all WTs have this bacteria on their fangs, so it comes down to a matter of luck.

As for my mum... every 3-6 months, the original bite area flares up again and starts to eat away at her flesh again. We have had her at numerous doctors and they all have said the same thing. Antibiotics when it flares up, and hope like hell that it's the last time.

I wouldn't be playing with them. !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back