Who has not taken a bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmick149

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm still new to owning snakes and yet to take a bite.
I do handle both my snakes most days other then shedding or for a day or 2 after feeding.
i figure it's only a matter of time before I take a bite any of you more experienced guys not taken a bite and how long have you been keeping snakes

Sapphire gave me my first bite. She was so fast I actually giggled.
She's still settling into her new home so she's still a little feisty. I'm certain there are more bites to come :)

You defiantly aren't considered experienced if you haven't taken a bite lol, its not an if but a when.

You will be bitten soon enough :)

i'd been bitten a few times before i even owned a snake, when it does happen, try not to flinch too much hahah

I second that. It'll happen, it's inevitable. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not in a month, but inevitably, you will be bitten. Remember, biting, is about the only way a snake can let you know it's unhappy with the situation. That, and they're not the brightest creatures on earth, so they can mistake your hand for food. Just remember not to flinch, and let the thing unhitch itself. I found I actually got less trusting of my snakes the longer I had them. Probably because they got big enough to hit my face while holding them. Weird little things can completely change a snake's personality too. My current jungle carpet python was a total puppy when he was younger and living in a click-clack. As he got older, I put him into a big, vertical terrarium with lots of branches etc. Turns out, he likes it too much. Now he's cage defensive, whereas before, he'd be excited to come out and have a slither. Probably got comfortable and grumpy with age. It happens.

I figure ill get tagged at some point was just wondering is it likely to be a regular thing im careful to not handle rodents before my snakes and was my hands n all that stuff both my snakes are well feed and quite calm

As long as you are confident and the snake isn't stressed, it shouldn't be a regular thing..
That being said every snake is different, some tolerate being handled, some don't, so while your snakes might not normally strike or bite, another snake of the same species could be mental and strike at everything that moves.

My most "tame" snake, a female olive, bit me on the face whilst having a conversation. They all bite it's just a matter of time, the initial shock is what gets you, unless it's a big snake the bites relatively pain free (it can hurt if it's a hungry snake that thinks your food and chews your fingers) as has been said, try not to flinch or pull your hand away as it can damage the snakes teeth.

Oh it will will happen just wait.
Lets see...... my old spotted bit me on the face. (my fault)

My darwin bit me about 7 times in the shop, ( She was scared )

Mimir my new stimsons has yet to bite anyone.

And just 2 nights ago my darwin bit my boyfriend. Funny story actually.... As it's hot here in brisbane we were both naked with fans on. He had freya out already and she had settled between his legs (remember we were naked) and I was like well shes due for a feed so I fed her where she was. She grabbed it, and ate etc but wasn't satisfied and latched onto his hand ( LUCKY ) He didn't freak out and just let her bite him which is when she realised it wasn't food and let go, then we put her back.

I'm still waiting for my first bite from my stimi I've had for over 1 & 1/2 years, I know it'll happen one day when i get to complacent, but I still really want to know what it feels like. Kinda jealous of those who have been bit, in a weird way.

Chilren's Python not yet

I'm still waiting for my first bite from my stimi I've had for over 1 & 1/2 years, I know it'll happen one day when i get to complacent, but I still really want to know what it feels like. Kinda jealous of those who have been bit, in a weird way.

I've had my Children's Python for 4 years now and yet to be bitten. Although my son has
had a few early on. Hope its a pleasnt surpise when it finally occurs.

I'm not worried about it hurting pain is my friend. I suffer from complex regional pain syndrome from a accident and I'm now missing a finger and part of my hand. I know at some stage I'll take a bite.
The question was more for interest sake

Only kept one snake and I have been bitten at least 10 times by snakes. I have been bitten at expos, by friends snakes, by my snake(which I have now sold) and even by a snake at a public talk lol. Your not experienced if you haven't been bitten, the first bite will come and if it doesn't happen for a while, your probably doing something wrong lol. FYI in terms of lizards, I have been bitten by well pretty much everything even a gecko lol only 2 things that have not bitten me yet, crocodilians (I know they are not lizards) and legless lizards.

I wouldn't say it's inevitable. I think the chances are higher when firstly your're new to snake behaviour and also not aware of good practices in handling techniques. Secondly when us humans become complacent around snakes, forget to wash hands etc don't get me wrong I've had my share of bites it the past but I can't remember the last time I was bitten. I've got some nasty jungles to keep me on my toes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back