Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how closely related Oenpellis are to Timorensis or are Timorensis closer to Scrubbys

I would guess probably not that close to either timorensis or scrubs. The head sheilds are significantly different to drop bears.

I have found one!!!!

Hello All, After more time, energy, blood and tears than I care to acknowledge the Oenpelli Project is finally happening. I am delighted to say that a friend and I caught the very first python held legally in private hands at around 11pm on Saturday the 24th of March in the middle of Arnhemland. She is around 2.3 metres and AMAZING in every way. While not possessing the bright gold and black of a Jungle carpet, the broken brown and white pattern of the night colours were sensational. To hold it was like velvet as the scales are soft like a GTP. As many of you will know I am taking a couple of people out looking for them in May and hold high hopes that they will be rewarded with a find like this as well, not to mention seeing some of the most amazing country on the planet. If you want to know more about the trips out to Arnhemland in May 10-13 I still have one vacancy for an intrepid herp tourist. To all those who have helped and who have believed in this project you have my sincere thanks. For me it is a complete honour to work with a magical animal and the Traditional Owners from whose country this animal has come and bring it into the herp world. I hope you will all support this project and let me just say that it is still some way from becoming a breeding reality but Saturday was a huge start. Please feel free to contact me via my web site and I will do my best to respond. (Albino Python - Australia's Amazing Albino Pythons and Snakes | Albino Snakes Pythons Gavin Bedford Darwin Australia)
Cheers
Gavin Bedford

Congrats Gavin it's been a long time coming. Hopefully the trip in may is successful can't wait.

That's great news! Congratulations Gavin.
How does this specimen handle?

Fantastic news mate good luck with the future, would love to join you out there for the hunt that country side is just amazing

Well done Gavin. I'm so happy to see all your hard work coming to fruition. Just wish I was a few years younger to be able to join in one of those trips..... Oh well,,, I'll enjoy seeing the pics and hearing all about it.

Word on the street is to keep an eye on the news tonight or over the next couple of days. I'm not sure if it will go national but we can hope, hopefully you will get to see the first pictures of this snake!

They are pretty common gordo there are some around hd . I personally think they are not much to look at just like albino darwins are boring and roughies are boring but rarity attracts admirers and $$ regardless of looks.

I've posted this quote of Rick Shine's before, but I like it as a counterpoint to the "Oenpellis are boring" chorus: "To see one of these giant ghostly snakes stretched out on the Arnhem Land escarpment in the moonlight is one of the great sights of Australian herpetology."

That said, they are one of those snakes I'd love to see but wouldn't be clamouring to keep. I'm not confident I could successfully recreate that moonlit escarpment feel in a box...

Great news. About what age would it be?
How old do they need to be to breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back