Why are Death Adders so dangerously cheap?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironized

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Serious Question.

I always see Death Adders for sale for around $150. This A.) confuses me. and B.)Scares me.

It's quite a challenge not too buy one of those cute little snugglesticks.

Serious Question.

I always see Death Adders for sale for around $150. This A.) confuses me. and B.)Scares me.

It's quite a challenge not too buy one of those cute little snugglesticks.

If someone paid me double that every month to have one I would still say no thanks, maybe that's just me.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Really, i think im coming around.. some of those albino adders.. surely its worth my life :D

Well thats the thing,I'm convinced I could make a enclosure that does not require ever taking the snake from its enclosure. Using an interesting combination of air locks...

I rekon thats why alot of keepers keep hots in top entry enclosures. I think its a supply demand thing again, not everyone is jumping over each other to buy adders because they kill. sad really as they imo are a stunning snake.

I dont keep any hots but i think in the next few years ill be heading to the dark side..

Top entry enclosures are not that safe for working some elapids.

They are seriously not an issue to keep. If you are sloppy, forgetful and careless, mixed with an equal dose of complacency, then NO Elapid is for you. Adders are one of the less complex venomous snakes to keep, but out of all of them, they encourage complacency.

Well thats the thing,I'm convinced I could make a enclosure that does not require ever taking the snake from its enclosure. Using an interesting combination of air locks...
Not overly hard to do,
just join to melamine enclosure together, slide a bit of say 15mm thick melamine in between the two so it sits flush, then cut a hole betweem the two enclosures also the board, then the snake can pass from one side to the other, when its on the clean side of the enclosure simply flip bit of melamine encloure so it blocks the gap and clean that side and then open the entrance back up and wait for the snake to pass through then clean the otherside, works a treat when you have cranky pythons and dont wanna remove them from there
enclosure.

Do you have the appropriate license? Then $150 is still out of your price range.
They are relatively priced to their market. Better specimens cost more.

Yes, simplifying enclosures for minimal handling is a good idea but eventually the time will come when handling is necessary.

Do you have the appropriate license? Then $150 is still out of your price range.
They are relatively priced to their market. Better specimens cost more.

I have a QLD license and too my knowledge that includes 2 "restricted species" which to my knowledge includes an adder.

I'm obviously not going to impulse buy a hot, but the temptation to get one is there.

It doesn't, I think the restricted species for reptiles include Green Tree Pythons and Womas. You need a different licence for vens.

It doesn't, I think the restricted species for reptiles include Green Tree Pythons and Womas. You need a different licence for vens.
Ah, Excellent, that makes the price seem a lot less dangerous.

As far as i know the licence is only $165 instead of $65 but i havent really looked into it.

As far as i know the licence is only $165 instead of $65 but i havent really looked into it.
I can assure you that if the the only extra criteria set to obtain a restricted ven. lic. was to cough up an extra $100, we would be reading more threads from Newsbot!

They are seriously not an issue to keep. If you are sloppy, forgetful and careless, mixed with an equal dose of complacency, then NO Elapid is for you. Adders are one of the less complex venomous snakes to keep, but out of all of them, they encourage complacency.
thats interesting coming from from the guy who holds his EB AKA grass snakes , on the palm of his hand :) ;)

To be able to own elapids in Queensland you need to have at least two refferences from expierenced elapid handlers or have completed a venomous handling course generally around $150 plus. You also need to have a current firat aid certificate another $89 or so. After you do this then you have to email derm or whoever they ate now and explain why they should let you keep venomous snakes and pay an extra $189. So when we add everything up just to get the license its already over $300. Keeping venomous species is deffinently not super cheap or easy to get into, which is a good thing to prevent any random person from buying any elapid just because they are cheap.
Cheers Cameron.

I can assure you that if the the only extra criteria set to obtain a restricted ven. lic. was to cough up an extra $100, we would be reading more threads from Newsbot!

Thats all that IS needed in Victoria!

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, Excellent, that makes the price seem a lot less dangerous.

The Price is not the dangerous thing, It is those that think they can keep vens for the fun (show off) of it that is dangerous!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back