Why are death adders sold so cheap?

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by SerpentWanderer, Apr 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SerpentWanderer

SerpentWanderer Not so new Member

Hello everyone, I have been doing research on reptiles for a little while now and death adders have always intrigued me. I wouldn't mind owning a pair sometime down the track if I get a collection and I couldn't help but notice how inexpensive they are sold for. My curiosity just begs the question...Why?

Also if anyone has any great articles or informative sites to share for myself to read I would greatly appreciate it.

2. sebii

sebii Not so new Member

Supply and demand I imagine. They aren't complicated to breed, and not many people want to keep them on account of being deadly.

3. BrownHash

BrownHash Well-Known Member

Easy to breed, abundant in the wild from which a large number were originally collected, and lack of demand.

4. SerpentWanderer

Thanks for the replies, I guess that is true. Brown Hash what is that gecko in your profile picture? looks really interesting.

5. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

Demand is huge, they're really popular and heaps of people keep heaps of them. Supply is even larger though :p Some types still fetch a higher price tag, but many area very cheap. Sometimes people give them away. They're awesome snake to keep! If you are interested in them now you'll be in love once you get some!

6. SerpentWanderer

Thanks, yeah I saw the scaleless version but I liked them for their robustness and scale patterns. It is just getting over the hurdle of getting my licence first and working my way to owning one in time.

7. CrazyNut

CrazyNut Well-Known Member

Death adders are cheap?? Wow lol never realised. I might actully try and work toward owning one now. I want to eventually own RBB but now I have something else to work towards lol. Going to get colubrids first.

8. BredliFreak

BredliFreak Well-Known Member

The scaleless look like neon signs! I wouldn't mind owning a few deathies!

9. BrownHash

[MENTION=40801]SerpentWanderer[/MENTION] - The gecko is a Diplodactylus lateroides. ​They're quite a common species in the Darling Range along the west coast.

10. SerpentWanderer

I am not really a gecko person but some of these look really interesting. Gecko skin feels really weird, soft yet rough. can geckos be handled or is that a no no because they are likely to lose their tail?

11. BrownHash

[MENTION=40801]SerpentWanderer[/MENTION] - I don't have any experience keeping geckos, but they're generally considered a hands-off pet. The larger Nephrurus species can probably be handled a bit, but I think with the smaller Diplos and other genera you'll end up spending your time trying to re-catch them without dropping their tail. From the field-based experience I've had with them they are likely spend their life trying to get away from you.

Although, sometimes gecko's will play nice; but I wouldn't count on it.
    [​IMG]
    Gehyra variegata

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.