Why do people keep dangerous reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenmouse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have been watching the animal underground series with henry rollins.
And it got me thinking about what reasons people keep reptiles i have always enjoyed animals that were perceived to be dangerous and never given much thought to it.
I have mellowed and don't keep any large dangerous monitors or vens any more.
Just my jungles and small monitors and blueys and enjoy sharing them with friends that don't keep reptiles but not trying to shock them like i used to.

You're watching a series with Henry Rollins?
Tell him I say "hi".

He said tell Darlyn to stop stalking him, Did you meet him at discovery when the rollins band played there?

I enjoy keeping the calm, friendly ones so i can teach my friends and family how to respect them, avoid them, and mitigate the risks of living in their environment... just saying!

For The Simpsons fans, "I call the big one Bitey!"

Just as an edit, would you consider a large python dangerous to a smaller keeper? A woman, or a child? I do :/

Its like asking why do people ride motor bikes? Why do people surf big waves? Why do people scubar dive? Why do people sky dive? Why do people play football? Why do people race cars? Why do people climb mountains lol?

Most people keep them because they find them interesting and they enjoy it. Simple.

Yep i agree with ShaneBlack. Sky diving, Spear fishing, even Cheerleading all have their risks to some degree. I first started keeping reptiles a few years ago. I thought i would be more than contents with a python or two.... Well now i have a pair of large scrubby's as part of my collection and although i promised myself i would never keep vens when i first started. I ended up coming home with my first Elapid last week. A nice little Pseudechis Porphyriacus. It seems the more you learn and understand something the more intrigued and interested you become. Who knows i might consider just keeping Elapids with more knowledge and experience down the track. Iv come along way from the (a good snake is a dead snake mentality). lol
As for keeping large monitors and pythons, well for me 'bigger is better'! and NO im not compensating for anything! :)

Well people keep elapids in tasmania as they can not legaly keep pythons...

Its like asking why do people ride motor bikes? Why do people surf big waves? Why do people scubar dive? Why do people sky dive? Why do people play football? Why do people race cars? Why do people climb mountains lol?

Most people keep them because they find them interesting and they enjoy it. Simple.

The answer to all those questions apart from Football and maybe scuba diving (depending on the type of diving it is), is they do it for the adrenaline rush.

If people keep venomous snakes for the adrenaline rush, they're doing it wrong.

The answer to all those questions apart from Football and maybe scuba diving (depending on the type of diving it is), is they do it for the adrenaline rush.

That's one way to look at it. A more general approach would be that, for each individual, the rewards of the pursuit in question outweigh the risks involved.

I dont think there should be an adrenaline rush when dealing with Elapids either. You should be calm, collected and focused as soon as that Elapid enclosure is unlocked...

I keep them so people think I'm tough.

I keep simply because I like them. If you don't enjoy it give it away

The door knockers love them...

Jehovas
Mormons
Telstra
Optus
Vodafone
Girl scouts
Boy scouts
Fundraisers
Old ladies
Local junkies
Etc....

They all get a kick when I answer the door with them

keeping and handling venomous snakes sounds dangerous in theory,the way people sensationalize the capabilities of venom,especially the media. But in practical,if you compare it to many pastimes that people routinely engage in,its really no where near the danger level of things people wouldn't take a second thought about doing.
Do you smoke? are you fat? there the two most dangerous things cause there is certainty they will catch up with you and end your life.

^^.. imagine the looks on there faces, especially the churchy people lol priceless.
'no offence to the churchy people'.

and i totally agree with u there snake pimp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back