Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shea_and_ruby

Reaction score
As we have been selling some our of tanks lately, we have had a few coming over to check them out. Out of three people who ended up buying, two had exotics - one had corns and the other openly admitted he had boas! wasn't too surprised with the corn snake, but boaS, not just one, but a few, so my guess is that he breeds them. why would you tell a stranger that? one who has all your details? so what are the ratios - are there more exotic owners than there are legal owners?

babe, as soon as i tell people that i have snakes they assume i must have exotics. I have been offered everything under the sun, stuff that just amazes me! i assume either these ppl dont know they are illegal or they just dont care!

my hubbys mate decided to move his corn snake on a while back and when i walked out the back yard i found myself the new proud owner of a white and yellow cornsnake complete with set up in my patio. cant tell you how fast i peed myself and shipped it on to local wigs

There will always be exotics. Just like there will always be illegal drugs around.

Probably due to the fact there isn't much chance anything will happen about it anyway even if someone did dob them in.

Maybe just to show off and feel like theyre impressive.guess its not much fun to have something exotic and be quiet about it.

I had a guy ring my up the other day asking how many geckos were left and how much. He explained how he didnt have a licence, because he let it run out after he sold his last legal snake (woma) and then didnt need to reniew it because he only had illigal animals.

He told me this with out even asking what he has! I was actually surprised. I might text him not and ask what he keeps.

But personaly i dont mind if a few people own them, aslong as they know they are illegal and own only a few with other legal kept snake thats on a licence. And thats its being kept how they should be, not crammed in the back cupboard in a small box, no light and no heat.

Ill post back with what he keeps when he replys.

Maybe just to show off and feel like theyre impressive.guess its not much fun to have something exotic and be quiet about it.
I don't think it's to show off. I think they would talk about them on license or off license. They just love them, so good on them for having a reptile instead of a cat...

lol snakes 123 let us know. i think it must make them feel 'badass'. and what you say is also true: as long as they are kept and loved, thats all you can ask for.

this guy with the boas was just totally strange. as i was taken off guard, i asked him óh wow, where do you come by those?'to which he replied he had quite a few, and then it was as if he was waiting for me to ask to buy one :S

lol snakes 123 let us know. i think it must make them feel 'badass'. and what you say is also true: as long as they are kept and loved, thats all you can ask for.

this guy with the boas was just totally strange. as i was taken off guard, i asked him óh wow, where do you come by those?'to which he replied he had quite a few, and then it was as if he was waiting for me to ask to buy one :S

Yeah I will, he normally replyed to my texts with a call straight away, but im sure he will reply. I dont think he was the guy to keep it so he felt like a 'badass' i think it was more that he loved them.

However i wouldnt recomend that everyone goes out and buys an exotic just because "Ohh it looks nice i want it" But im not recomending that anyone goes and buys one at all.

But...I can honestly say, if i was offered a chameleon, hognose or any of the other exotics that i extreemly like i can say i probably would get ONE. Just to keep there as a pet, not to breed. But then when i hav that animal, i wouldnt go and tell the world, i probably wouldnt tell anyone on this site, more for the animals sake. Because i know if i was to have one, i would keep it as it shoule and it would be happy.

But there thats what i think. Dont wanna start a rant. Ill get back when he texts back.

Could be that they think its one thing like a boa when in reality its something different! There was a thread some mths back where a lady said she had a corn snake or something like that (it was sick and she was seeking help) when after some more q's from ppl on here she didnt even have a corn but it was something like a BHP! So could be these ppl have no idea what they have!

Yes true Starr9

I think there are people that you know, buy things from people they meet in the shops that offer animals, that have absolutly no idea that they are illegat. Which could also be the people that brag, and think they are badass for owning a snake, where as they have absolutly no clue at all that its illegal.

I met a fella whilst on a work conference in Sydney not long ago who after we got on to the subject of snakes he showed some pictures on his phone of a friend of his holding what looked to be about a 12ft Burmese python in his backyard!

Because people like to show off to other people what they are not suppose to have, its the whole wow this illegal and i have one and you dont. If they had half a brain they would own a native one, but its more cool to have and illegal one.

Because people like to show off to other people what they are not suppose to have, its the whole wow this illegal and i have one and you dont. If they had half a brain they would own a native one, but its more cool to have and illegal one.

But the thing is most of them dont know they are illegal.

well then they a pretty stupid to me and really that is no excuse everyone knows no natives are illegal

Unfortunately there is everything from rattle snakes to anaconda's in australia. Have heard of all sorts you name it, its here. Craziest I have heard of was a pair of side winders

Sent from my U8510 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back