Why Isn't My Spotty Eating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radioinvader

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a ~4 year old spotted python. For some reason he has been an incredibly picky eater lately. He refused food for 2 weeks in a row, and then last weekend he finally showed interest even though he was very slow at going for it and it took a while.

This week he has refused food again. I am used to feeding him once a week on sub adult rats, so small ones. I don't think it's late enough in the season that he should be refusing food due to ambient temperature drops. But forgive me, I come from Canada so the spring/winter and winter temperatures are a lot different for me so maybe it is that late in the season? I am not sure, but the nights are definitely getting cooler. I keep his terrarium at a 26-30C gradient.

He doesn't seem agitated and I've handled him a few times recently with no problems. He doesn't look physically ill that I can tell and he is active and moving between hides.

He used to eat every week no problem. Is it possible that he simply isn't hungry and the sub adult rats are doing him for a couple weeks at a time? He was feeding on sub adult rats fine once a week for a period of time so I don't understand why his appetite would drop now. Is this something I should be taking him to the vet for?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too concerned if he still looks healthy. Given the wet weather (and worse) that you've had up there of late, I would think he is sensing the ambient weather changes. Antaresia species seem to go off their food more quickly than other pythons.

Isn't 30 a bit on the cool side?
Is that the hot spot/basking temp or just a general at one side of the enclosure?

Isn't 30 a bit on the cool side?
Is that the hot spot/basking temp or just a general at one side of the enclosure?
That's the general side of the enclosure. When I was doing research on spotteds the max temp seemed to bounce between 30 and 35 so I just settled on 30.

I wouldn't be too concerned if he still looks healthy. Given the wet weather (and worse) that you've had up there of late, I would think he is sensing the ambient weather changes. Antaresia species seem to go off their food more quickly than other pythons.
Thanks, I will keep an eye on him. I know last year he was off food for a couple of months in winter last and that was fine, I just thought it seemed really early, but I wasn't aware that antaresias go off food more easily. Weird that I have had him for just over 2 years now and I am still learning things haha.

@radioinvader, 30 is way too cool for a spotted at this time of the year, if you want it to go back to eating better bump the hotspot up to 34 deg C, at 30 i would say it would be having some difficulty in digesting it's food in a timely fashion and would risk having food rot in it's gut, my 2 spotties won't even have a sniff at food if their digesting spot is below 34 (i have a heat mat under their hides where they stay for 5-7 days after eating) As far as food sizes are concerned 80-100 grm Rats are an ideal size for a 4 year old spotty, don't be put off by their size as it is amazing how big a prey item they can fit in those little mouths. Another good way to ensure it eats when presented is to try and have the prey item as close to 37 deg C, it gives it a much better heat signature and helps them to strike more readily if they are a bit reticent. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

@radioinvader, 30 is way too cool for a spotted at this time of the year, if you want it to go back to eating better bump the hotspot up to 34 deg C, at 30 i would say it would be having some difficulty in digesting it's food in a timely fashion and would risk having food rot in it's gut, my 2 spotties won't even have a sniff at food if their digesting spot is below 34 (i have a heat mat under their hides where they stay for 5-7 days after eating) As far as food sizes are concerned 80-100 grm Rats are an ideal size for a 4 year old spotty, don't be put off by their size as it is amazing how big a prey item they can fit in those little mouths. Another good way to ensure it eats when presented is to try and have the prey item as close to 37 deg C, it gives it a much better heat signature and helps them to strike more readily if they are a bit reticent. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling
Thank you, I will adjust his heating to 35C at his basking spot. I'll make the change in the morning, and make sure his food is warmed up more in the future. I also keep a heating pad under his hide :). In the meantime, when do you think I should be offering food again?

@radioinvader I would leave it be for about 2 weeks with the altered temp so it gets hungry again properly. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling
@ronhalling Thank you for the advice. I waited 2 weeks after increasing the temperature to 35C at his basking spot, and offered him food tonight, after a shed, no less. So, 3 weeks since his last meal. But he still won't take it, absolutely no interest. I am not sure what to do now. Just keep offering food every 2-4 weeks until he's hungry enough to take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back