Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guzzo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
With the recent bite post today I thought I would raise the question why do Python bites bleed so profusely. I mean each time I have been bitten (by my Darwins) there is always heaps of blood (usually instantly) for the relatively insignificant wound.

I have a theory but have no idea if it is sound. Take for example a scratch caused by a cat...it usually bleeds for a bit but then quickly clots and stops....now look at a cut caused while shaving...it is no deeper cut but bleeds and bleeds.

I think that because the cat scratch causes more trauma to the skin it causes the body to release clotting agents where the razor cut is so clean and causes little trauma so less clotting agent is released so therefore it bleeds more freely.

Perhaps because python’s teeth are so sharp it is like the razor and causes minimal skin trauma and therefore bleeds and bleeds unlike the cat scratch (which is no deeper) that quickly clots.

I would be interested in any opinions on this.

P.s That being said I am sure a large Scrub Python or large Olive would be capable of delivering a significant wound but I have seen good dog bites that have not bled as much as a python hit.

haha I like your scientific description and completely agree, especially with the razor cuts. You make a good point, There is a major difference in bleeding from a clean to jagged cut!

haha I like your scientific description and completely agree, especially with the razor cuts. You make a good point, There is a major difference in bleeding from a clean to jagged cut!

I have made it to 41 and have been bitten by many things and also cut myself many times with all sorts of things (accidents of course...I am not some weirdo....thought I should clear that one up) so I am no stranger to my own blood but it really has amazed me just how quickly and how much python bites bleed..

They have an anticoagulant in there saliva.

Interesting...I did not know that

Last edited:
There saliva thins your blood, end result, the bite looks heaps worse then it really is.

It works very quickly! I wonder why they need that ability as they are constrictors not vampires haha?

You know, I'm not sure on that one.

My personal opinion would be if the pray got away, the extra blood would put off a stronger scent to follow, or just to scare off whatever predator was just bitten.

That's just my thoughts, don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
I've never heard of them having anticoagulant in their saliva but I thought it was also the fact that it's like a needle. A scratch from a cat doesn't go as deep but teeth are like little needles. Anyone who has had one of those blood glucose tests will tell you how much a small puncture can bleed. Here you effectively have heaps of small needle punctures

So a bite from a snake Is just like the little pain from a needle??? Iv never been bit and quite nervous about it

Big ones hurt a little but it's only quick so it's more of a shock than anything

I've never heard of them having anticoagulant in their saliva but I thought it was also the fact that it's like a needle. A scratch from a cat doesn't go as deep but teeth are like little needles. Anyone who has had one of those blood glucose tests will tell you how much a small puncture can bleed. Here you effectively have heaps of small needle punctures

I have a few old documentary videos from Rob Harold Bredl (Also known as the Barefoot Bushman also the Morelia Bredli is named after him) that he talks about python bites and comments on there saliva and the reason why python bites bleed alot is because of the anticoagulant in there saliva..

Iv got a yearling carpet and yea nervous everytime I hold her haha wish she would just bite me already to get over the fear :/

So a bite from a snake Is just like the little pain from a needle??? Iv never been bit and quite nervous about it

It usually isn't too bad if they strike at you, I had a snake strike and get my hand which bled everywhere even though there was only one small puncture wound. Two weeks later I dug a broken tooth out of my hand, and I can tell you the bite didn't hurt much. Putting an alcohol based hand gel on the wound is more painful. :p

What hurts is when a snake decides you're food and chews on your wrist for 15 minutes!

i didnt even know my spotted python was trying to eat my wrist until i saw him.
he must have slowly put his jaws around me rather than quickly striking me.
but it doesnt realy hurt much.

Well after the Bredli bite thread and this curiosity thread about bleeding python bites I decided to get out my Albino female and weigh her and measure her . Well all was going well till I tried to place herin a pillow case so I could weigh her....anyhow she took offence at this and calmly bit me and then constricted me for heaps enough time for me to get the camera. This bite actually did hurt a bit!

Anyhow as expected the blood soon flowed and I was yet again able to marvel a thow much a python bite does bleed!

View attachment 240795View attachment 240796View attachment 240797

Last edited:
You know, I'm not sure on that one.

My personal opinion would be if the pray got away, the extra blood would put off a stronger scent to follow, or just to scare off whatever predator was just bitten.

That's just my thoughts, don't quoit me on that.

Spellcheck bro! Hahahahahaha

Last edited:
Iv got a yearling carpet and yea nervous everytime I hold her haha wish she would just bite me already to get over the fear :/

:) just wave ya hand in front of ya snake and BAM it's done HAHAHAHA ( don't take my advice really don't) the pounce is more scarey then the bite it self

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back