why take them off the mother

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks kindly Dave, I have always wanted to use maternal incubation but have not had the courage previously, and haven't been confident in my setup. I'll definitely give it a go next time around!

Of note, this is the first year I have tried a ceramic rather than a reflector globe, a reflector seems to provide higher humidity.

eggs

We have a stimmie on eggs, she laid two years ago and we got someone to incubate them for us as we had no idea she was even gravid. She was so sad when the eggs were taken away and mopped for days so this time we put a nesting box in there with spagnum moss in it, she has been on the eggs for 53 days and the daddy has been helping out too. Four of the eggs look really healty but we just noticed four have gone black, we are hoping to get four babies from the good eggs.

I wonder if ceramics just get too hot and fry the moisture from the air?

Mevmev, how has your male snake been helping out? Has he been hanging out in the hide box, or has he coiled onto the eggs? You should see some hatching, um, today, if all goes well!

Ceramics don't provide such an intense hot spot, thus in Daves setup where the water is directly under the heat source the reflector would easily provide more humidity than a ceramic... The extra ambient heat produced by the ceramic may well indeed burn of a higher % of the humidity it created as well..
Thanks for the pics Dave, anyone else have any pics showing their maternal incubation techniques?

Yeah, Jase that makes sense with the big difference in hot spot. A reflector would be nuking the water below it into vapour, plus not drying the air in the top of the enclosure as much.

I wonder if ceramics just get too hot and fry the moisture from the air?

Mevmev, how has your male snake been helping out? Has he been hanging out in the hide box, or has he coiled onto the eggs? You should see some hatching, um, today, if all goes well!

He coiled round on top of the female, then when she left the eggs to lay on the heat rock he coiled around the eggs until she came back they were doing it together until about a week ago that's when he decided to go and stay in his hide, like he knows his done his bit and they will soon hatch. No signs of hatching yet.

My big Darwin girl has hatched her own eggs the last 3 years . She will even take a small rat while on the nest so she doesnt lose much condition . Once they hatch she is happy for them to go although l usualy leave a couple in clickclacks in with her .

Of note, this is the first year I have tried a ceramic rather than a reflector globe, a reflector seems to provide higher humidity.

The ceramics get so hot they completely dry the air that surrounds them, then the moist air gets drawn in to take up the dried space, which in turn creates air flow, which when combined dries out the enclosure. i used ceramics for the first time a couple of months ago and now i am right off them.... never use them again. To extreme a heat source for tropical species

If the correct conditions are met, any snake that incubate there eggs will work fine.

It was fairly obvious why the ceramic wasn't as efficient at creating better humidity (in my set up at least) but this was easily taken care of by simply adding an additional tray of water which obviously increases the total surface area of water and hense more constant evaporation. So far the eggs are looking real fine.

Regards Dave

I have a SW coastal sitting on eggs for 50 days now inside an icypole box. It was a day and a half before I knew they were there and didn't have the hart or know how to take them off her. Today is the first time I've seen her leave the box since day two and they are about a third of their original size. Until now I thought they were doing alright but won't be holding my breath for them to hatch now.
A probe beside the box averaged 75% humidity that isn't enough and struggled to rase it higher.
Next season I think I'll use an incubator so I can check on them or maybe let her sit on half so (excuse the pun) I don't put all my eggs in the one basket.:)
This her last weekend
IMG_0014_2.jpg

and today.
SANY0121.jpg

Thanks, that is what I want to hear:) I'll keep her on the job.
Love your setup, the foam esky's a great idea.

any help

any help on breed bredli wouldf be awsome pilbarrapythons
i have started a thred on bredli breeding any info u or any 1 for that matter has got would be great really wanna see bredli breeding set ups hey so i can get my girls perfect an loving it and also info on breeding coastal carpets

How does the female react once the hatchlings come out? I guess she doesnt form any maternal bond once they hatch but would be interested in seeing if she is still as aggressive as when you take the eggs away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back