Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisek

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Is it possible to find wild geckos down this far (newcastle central coast) in NSW. If so whens the best time to see them and what types are there?

cheers

Definately mate. I don't know which species exactly, as i'm really only familiar with reptiles found within the Sydney basin. But the 4 that are found in Sydney you should be able to find in Newcastle. They are Lesueurs Velvet Geckos, Eastern Stone Geckos, Thick-tailed Geckos and Broad-tailed Geckos - i think their distribution ends up around Newcastle-ish.

Best time to see them is at night as they are nocturnal, but they are quite easy to find during the day if you know where to look.

Bugger- You beat me to it Mr Bredli........I'll just go back to my bundy.

Cheers.

Simone.

wow i didnt think they were this far down, so wheres the best place to look under logs trees etc??

Depends what you're looking for. Mostly under rocks, logs and in crevices.

thanks for the replies everyone so daytime should be just as good rather than night

Daytime will be a lot better if you look in the right spots.

most common geckoes around at the moment are thicktails (Underwoodisaurus milii) these can be found tramping around anywhere on the ground at night, normally over dry leaf litter around rocky areas, Broad-tails (Phyllurus platurus) can be found around boulders, esp in colder damp areas, though these are really Sydney basin geckos and I'm not sure how plentiful they are around Newcastle, they can be found by there dozens in certain spots in Sydney though. Eastern stones (Diplodactylus vittatus) are found over a range of dry environments but never in numbers, I have only found a few in the Sydney area. Lesueur's velvets (Oedura lesueurii) are very common on dry sandstone area's, inc. ocean front cliff faces. In the newcastle area you can also get Robust velvets (Oedura robusta), these are found on verticle faces ie tree trunks and walls, though usually only one here and there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back