Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter went camping at Grassy Heads where goanna's frequent the camping area. My daughter is guilty of feeding them, but she was not the first. This guy came right through their area looking for food so they gave him some bacon and raw eggs.
090328_133102.jpg

090328_132852.jpg

Years ago when i was 13-14, Noosa National park had huge Lace Monitors that would run up and snatch food from your hand or hit & run familys picnicking.
Soon after they were relocated, so we are led to believe. hasn't been any since.
What happened is that they removed the rubbish bins from National parks. Though it seemed to me like a bad idea at the time it did actually clean up the picnic sites and that scavengers like lacies have less reason to hang around the site. They are still in the park and I saw one a couple of days ago. The same time has happened at Charlie Morland camp site, 5 years ago if you wanted to photograph a lacie there you had to push two out of the way, now there is only a couple that hang around.

Is there generally much colour variation between lacies found in northern and southern states? I've only ever seen wild specimens in NSW.

This thread has been very enjoyable to read, thanks for all the info and pics everyone.

Lacies are truly magnificent animals, easily one of my favorite reptiles.

Last edited:
The birds in my yard let me know when we have visitors. One small lacie aprox 80cm resides in our roof.

Haha we once raised a young Bell Minor (The bright green ones that are causing die-back but are a native). For weeks and weeks we hand raised this thing, giving it the best care possible. Whenever we went out in the garden we liked to perch it on this big vertical piece of rio-mesh with plants growing on it. Eventually it got big enough that it was just doing test flights around and we were almost getting to the point to release it, and then one day sitting on its rio-mesh a nice sized lacie came and chomped it down.

Yes, Rondo, there are distinct pattern differences. From about the central coast of NSW and going south, the light coloured scales (that give them the lace pattern for which they were named) form bands around the body, with very little spotting. At the far south of the range, in Victoria and southern NSW, the animals are pretty dark, almost solid black. These three monitors are from the south coast of NSW, near Merimbula.
61857472.jpg

131528464.jpg

61857473.jpg

Going further north, the light speckling is more prominent and some animals can be quite brightly coloured. There is always a fair bit of variation within populations, though, with some darker than others. These monitors are from the Sydney region.
110681998.jpg

116893121.jpg

117207697.jpg

61857470.jpg

Going north from Sydney, the spots near the back end of the body start creeping forward. This one is from north of Newcastle
78354761.jpg

This one is from the north coast of NSW
61857463.jpg

By the time you get into southern Qld, the spots start to dominate and the neck banding starts to disappear in the adults. This one is from the Brisbane area
87794589.jpg

Noosa (again)
61857471.jpg

Yeppoon, central Qld coast
61857421.jpg

I almost got a shot of one at the far north of their range, in the Daintree, a couple of years ago but the monitor didn't stop as it ran across the road and kept going once it hit the other side. It was completely spotted. I've seen photographs that others have taken of the monitors up there and they have been fully spotted, too.

When you go west of the Great Dividing Range, into the Murray Darling drainage, you get a different looking lace monitor again. They're usually greyish or olive with thin black bands, rather than black with bands of light speckles.
108251750.jpg

In amongst these there are also Bell's morph animals, which have a separate 'on/off' gene that makes the whole pattern go whacko and form wide bands instead of narrow bands. They're most prominent west of the ranges, but also show up in some populations on the coast, particularly around the north coast of NSW and southern Qld.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply David, you really are the man when it comes to Monitors. I would love to see you give a talk on these guys some time.

Great info about a fantastic animal Dave! We're a bit north of Port Macquarie at Telegraph Point, on 100 acres of bush in 1000s of hectares of bush, so we see Lacies almost every day through the summer. I reckon about 10% of those we see here could be classed as Bell's phase. I'd like to photograph some of the variation, but they're extremely shy and watchful - we often hear them running off in the bush rather than see them.

I've had my rodent tubs upended by marauding Lacies more than once when I've left the shed door open on hot summer days!

Jamie

Victorian specimen from the Grampians National Park (Wartook Valley)
Notice the similarities between that animal and the one I posted from the Murray Darling drainage. My shot was from the Piliga in central western NSW.
I envy you seeing these in your back yard, Jamie. I've been wanting to move into a house in the outer suburbs, preferably with a yard backing onto a national park, for ages. My two nearest wild lacie access points are around 20 minutes' drive (small population) to 35 minutes' drive (huge population) away.

Gorgeous and powerful animals for sure, and such variation! Red-Ink that first picture, what's up with it's tail? I can't get my brain to work out why it looks like it has a huge open wound :?

Looks like I started a heated discussion. But a very informative one. A lot of very legitimate critism has been levelled and alot i had not considered, so i will take that on board. I was not planning on it turning into such a long discussion but i will take your advice onboard. I have never seen a big monitor in a feeding rage so no i did not consider this but will now, thanks also for all the other incredible pictures posted. Living in the city now i miss seeing all the widelife at my door every day but it will happen again soon i hope

Thanks for taking it so well, Fred. I hope you hadn't read it as harsh criticism, for it wasn't meant to be.

I have followed the proceedings here and refrained from posting as others were doing such a good job. However, there are a few comments I would like to make.

Ianinoz, please take note that correcting incorrect information is not criticising and educating is not attacking. I believe the differences arose as a result of perspectiverather than of values. I would not like to think you felt personally attacked. I think Crocdoc did an admirable job to explain that and in tackling the issues logically rather than emotively.

The problems associated with feeding lace monitors is nothing new. It was occurring in Sydney in recreational areas of bushland reserves and parks over 40 years ago. How you view it depends on your perspective. If you see it as a one off occurrence that you do and others probably don’t, then it is easily justified. However, the reality is that if you are able to feed wild monitors, then it is far from a one-off occurrence. As has been so graphically pointed out, if you are able to do this then you are contributing to a behavioural pattern which can result in serious injury to park users. At the same time it is likely to result in removal of the offending reptiles.

Relocation of these animals does not work. Any area of suitable habitat is going to have an established population. When you add an adult to that population, the resources are already being fully utilised and there is no room for anotheradult unless there is a death of an existing adult in the area (an unlikelyscenario). Euthanasia is the better alternative.

A final comment. The potential for ridicule was rife. I am impressed at those who resisted the temptation and dealt with the issues in a matter of fact manner.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I have thick skin Crocdoc and we are never to old to learn from others experiences. There is always someone who has more knowledge and experience than us and even the most unlikely people can teach us something. However it was still a great day and something i will remember. Just wont do it again as i do appreciate the critism levelled.

Heres a couple of North QLD monitors. We live in the rainforest backing a national park so see alot of critters, Id have to say though I've definitely seen more monitors than anything else.
They're amazing lizards.

shedding-1.jpg

monitor1-1.jpg

205062_1811593222514_1620525321_1712779_7006012_n.jpg

Wow they are some beautiful looking monitors, I've never seen a lacie with spots like that before. The patterning reminds me of a Perentie.

Thanks for those shots, thepythia. They show the spots and lack of neck banding that I mentioned very well!

No problem :) I figured they would be a good representation. I have seen a wide variety of markings though, even just around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back