Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks thepythia- great pics and just as Crodoc described them.

A few general comments on wild feeding and related interaction with animals,which I split off an earlier post because this "anti bump" software will not allow two consecutive posts...

With respect to feeding wild animals so that you can interact closely with them, there are some realties that need to be taken on board. Unless you can guarantee a continuing food supply, day after day all year, as an on-going activity, then feeding wild animals should be a spasmodic thing only. Otherwise these animals become dependent on the food you are providing and once it is removed they have a problem obtaining sufficient food to support the population that has developed as a result of the artificial food supply.This is aside from any behavioural issues.

There are some significant differences between feeding animals confined to the “unnatural environment” of a domestic dwelling and block and those that are mobile enough to come and go from adjacent bushland. The guidelines outlined above should be applied to mobile visitors. What one chooses to do with permanent residents is up to the individual. Personally I would be inclined to maintain normal hunting/collecting behaviour through occasional feeding so that should the animal decide to move on or should the householder do so, the animal will still be in a position to look after itself. Under certain circumstances it may well be appropriate to treat it as if it were a captive even though it is has free-range.

Someone mentioned wild animals appreciating what you do for them. Timothy Treadwell spent 13 summers living with Grizzly Bears, at the end of which he and his girlfriend were killed and eaten by them. Not so long ago a chap in Europe who had a collection of King Cobras he had free handled for some 20 plus years was found dead from a bite. Records have him saying that his snakes would never try to harm him as they know he looks after them.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Crocdoc and others I have a new found respect for all monitors.

thats awesome he must not have a great deal of food around , we should start looking after the wildlife so all animals have enough food

thats awesome he must not have a great deal of food around , we should start looking after the wildlife so all animals have enough food

There would be plenty of food around for that monitor and others in the area, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't take advantage of any opportunities to get hand fed.

I have thick skin Crocdoc and we are never to old to learn from others experiences. There is always someone who has more knowledge and experience than us and even the most unlikely people can teach us something. However it was still a great day and something i will remember. Just wont do it again as i do appreciate the critism levelled.

Good on you Fred, that is the spirit. It was a great experience for you, now with awareness about what you were doing you realize your mistake. It takes a big heart to respond like you have and shows maturity.
The feeding of wildlife by members of the public is a practice that needs to be stamped out. Making people aware of the problems associated with it is the reason why NPWS have such large and plentiful signs up on Frazer Is. The animals are at risk because people feed them, then they expect a feed, and when someone turns up with no food, to bad the animal has gone into food response, someone gets nailed the animal is killed. BUT the person who feeds the animal doesn't see this....

Central Coast, NSW.

100_4243.jpg

100_4229.jpg

Yeppoon area, QLD.

Croppedlacie22.jpg

100_1076.jpg

Good on ya Fred... I actually wouldn't call the comments from those in the know 'criticism' - those directed at you were probably aimed at being constructive. It's usually the members of the peanut gallery that turn these things into a bunfight! Your response has been admirable.

Jamie

hey just wondering if Lace monitors are native to brisbane? i remember seeing one a couple of years ago when i was working outside, it was very dark almost black with very strong yellow spots and it came down of a tree which i was standing next to beautiful solid animal, it was about a metre long.

Yes, lacies are native to Brisbane. They are found all the way up the east coast of Australia, from Victoria to around Cairns, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back