WILD python NEED HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shooshoo,
Good on ya for having a go mate. Im sitting here shaking my head at the people saying 'just leave it be'. And its from people who are supposed to like reptiles...
You have a warm heart shooshoo. For all the others who think the python should have been left to die slowly and painfully, probably only to be eaten by ants.... stick it up ya bum :p
A life is a life...

I weigh up both sides ...if I think it will make a good recovery(and I always get a second opinion) ,and wont be restricted in life, as to feeding and breeding, normally ..then I go for it and help the reptile as best as I can ...
.if its to far gone or wont have quality of life due to the injury ..then its lights out and I either place in creek beds (if venomous) or dead nons get a grass grave ,so they can feed another animal ....

Waru, plox = please, i'm just special m'kay? And yes i know you like to have your fun, just don't start arguments in my threads!!

Thanks Bonustokin :)

Have now taken some photos, and after some advice recieved via PM (thanks guys!) i have reduced the size of the water bowl so he can't soak, and won't bathe today to allow the wounds to dry out and start to heal. Have also been recommended some dry form broad spectrum antibiotic (Terramycin Powder for those that are interested) to use if i'm worried about infection. For now, he's active, has been moving around and hasn't bothered with the hide box (yay for old cereal boxes). I yes i know i should have towels across the glass but he's doesnt seem bothered and the room he is in sees no traffic other than for us going to check on him through the glass.

Photos coming, none of the wound yet, don't want to disturb him. Will get a pick of it this avo or tomorrow when i either apply antibiotic or bathe him.

I like nature, and nature is a circle of life, not a straight line of life..

I would have said it's more of a web... and i like webs. All that intermingling and connections, kind of reminds me of avatat. Great movie, go and see it if you haven't already.

Ants are just as important in the grand scheme of things as a carpet pythons.

if its been run over by a car then there is nothing natural about that at all and anyone who thinks that animals being hit by cars is all part of nature then they are very wrong

Perhaps in your opinion, some would consider humans to be part of nature while others consider humans seperate from nature, being created seperately or otherwise seperated at a certain part of evolution.

There doesnt seem to be much point debating though, its just a personal thing how you want to look at these things.

When showing my eldest daughter Willow (5) the python in the shed, I said "he ate the possum we used to feed!" her reply was, oh well now you can feed the snake....

What a beautiful well balanced child I wish there were more like Willow.
To love nature is one thing but to understand nature is the treasure

Cheers
Sandee :)

What a beautiful well balanced child ...
:)

Yep- that is gold. We have a 5 year old girl who totally gets it too- probably the result of having more herps than teddy bears since birth ! Or more rats in the freezer than ice blocks ? Insert your own cliche here..

When showing my eldest daughter Willow (5) the python in the shed, I said "he ate the possum we used to feed!" her reply was, oh well now you can feed the snake....

What a beautiful well balanced child I wish there were more like Willow.
To love nature is one thing but to understand nature is the treasure

Cheers
Sandee :)

I learnt this when i was a kid too, ironic that i was also watching a carpet python kill an orphaned brushtail we had raised.

i'm quite pleased at the thought processes this thread has evoked. and pleased more so that we all seem to have been able to be polite and civil towards each other in expressing our opinions and weighting the differences there-in. too often threads on this forum degenerate into a dog fight of words and petty threats over nothing more than a cry for help or a form of self-expression.

it's just one old snake, one old snake who i could have left to die from his wounds, and none would be the wiser. likely none would question my choice if i stated it were based on the fact that being a wild animal it ought to fend for itself, and if it were to die then it would simple be doing its part in feeding other wild animals. but, it's just one old snake, and it's one old snake that i can help. the bloody ants can go hungry for a week, stuff 'em!

Shooshoo, I think your doing a wonderful thing! I would do the same thing if I were in your situation,and I've previously brought orphaned magpies etc. home,because I just can't bear the thought of them becoming cat food.haha. My mum always made me hand them into a vet(to give to a wildlife carer) but I really and truly am a softie! Haha. Whilst I've been raised going to my families farm for many years,and seeing the truly harsh side of nature taking it's course,it doesn't mean I beleive "nature should take it's course". But, like I said, I really am a softie,and I respect peoples opinions who beleive that.
Shooshoo, I'd love to see some photos!

okay, so the photos suck. dont want to disturb him. you'll just have to wait for better pics later. water bowl has since been downsized. last pic is so you can see that hes not a big carpet, but does have a good weight to him, not emaciated or anything.

Attachments

• end dec 09 001.jpg
    end dec 09 001.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 87
  • end dec 09 002.jpg
    end dec 09 002.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 76
  • end dec 09 003.jpg
    end dec 09 003.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 91
not bad for a wild one, usually the ones we get round here are all mottled and kinda, well, ugly for want of a better word. have seen some bright orange juvies at times but none have had clear markings like him. some have had some horrendous scars!!

I like nature, and nature is a circle of life, not a straight line of life..
Thats true mate. Not gunna disagree with that.
The thing is, when an animal is rescued and let back into the wild. It doesnt become invincible, it just gets another chance. Nature will still take its course, either from age, disease, infection or whatever else. So your circle of life will still come for the animal, just not so soon... i dont see a problem with that. And i dont see how anyone else could either?
Im sure if it was yaself, you would want another chance... see my point? :D

nice one weezer. for the moment i'm hoping those two will keep it between themselves *note subtle hints of Don't Make Me Come Over There!* :p

Jungletrans - you know Waru as well as any of us, he likes to **** stir, don't become one of his little 'projects'.

Waru - PLAY NICE PLOX GORDON! :p

so? i have spent some time in darwin and have lots of friends and relatives up there too, want to start a club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back