WILD python NEED HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry , but l have spent some time in Darwin and have lots of friends and relatives up there .

HAHAHA! Are you serious!? Righto i'll brush that off as an old person joke, must be a generational thing lol.

There needs to be a line drawn somewhere token, for me if there was no human influence then i think it should be left alone with an exception of course for critically endangered species. Otherwise you could get eco terrorists running up to snakes, crocodiles and quolls pulling prey out of there mouths so they can be brought back to health and released again and live wonderful healthy happy lives.

Yep- that is gold. We have a 5 year old girl who totally gets it too- probably the result of having more herps than teddy bears since birth ! Or more rats in the freezer than ice blocks ? Insert your own cliche here..

Our 4 yo daughter was bitten on the finger by one of our neighbours' rats and the only thing that consoled her was being told that the rat would become snake food pretty soon! Circle of life again!

lol.

update time, he's been moving a fair bit. tail is still looking clean :) going to offer food tomorrow, will get picks of tail before i feed him so you can get an idea of what ive been whinging about.

G'day guys,

It's a bit difficult to have these sort of discussions with people who have strong emotional attachments to individual animals, compared to those with compassion for the species as a whole.

Generally a lot of people have a very simplistic view of wildlife rehabilitation - the more animals in the bush, the better, right? But the process of rehabilitation and release can pose much larger dangers to the whole population, and that risk totally negates the already pointless (in conservation terms) process of rehabbing sick and injured wildlife (for nearly all species).

For example, and this is in no way a personal attack on you shooshoo, but the Carpet Python in question is temporarily housed in what looks to be an established reptile enclosure by somebody who keeps pet reptiles. Now everybody knows about the the nasties that exist in captive collections - especially the encephalitis based viruses. These can have a massive impact on captive collections, wiping out large portions in a matter of weeks. It is unknown if some of these viruses are present in the wild, and it is unanimously agreed by most experienced herpers that these viruses are common in captivity. Imagine if somebody took pity on an injured Carpet Python, which is an incredibly common species, rehabilitated it and accidently transmited in the process and then released it. It could potentially destroy large, stable and common populations of snakes, all so someone could feel that warm fuzzy feeling?

I have no drama's with people taking compassion for injured or hurt wildlife - it is the releasing them part that is the problem.

Cheers

Hi Jonno, i honestly can say i had never thought about that. Now i'm really second guessing what i'm doing. There's no point turning him out now that he's already been in my care but prehaps i will try contacting Lone Pine and see if they can take him. Gah, way to make me second guess myself! :(

Very good point Jonno, but if the animal is effectively quarantined as all animals being rehabilitated should, cross contamination from captive animals should be negated.

G'day guys,

It's a bit difficult to have these sort of discussions with people who have strong emotional attachments to individual animals, compared to those with compassion for the species as a whole.

Generally a lot of people have a very simplistic view of wildlife rehabilitation - the more animals in the bush, the better, right? But the process of rehabilitation and release can pose much larger dangers to the whole population, and that risk totally negates the already pointless (in conservation terms) process of rehabbing sick and injured wildlife (for nearly all species).

For example, and this is in no way a personal attack on you shooshoo, but the Carpet Python in question is temporarily housed in what looks to be an established reptile enclosure by somebody who keeps pet reptiles. Now everybody knows about the the nasties that exist in captive collections - especially the encephalitis based viruses. These can have a massive impact on captive collections, wiping out large portions in a matter of weeks. It is unknown if some of these viruses are present in the wild, and it is unanimously agreed by most experienced herpers that these viruses are common in captivity. Imagine if somebody took pity on an injured Carpet Python, which is an incredibly common species, rehabilitated it and accidently transmited in the process and then released it. It could potentially destroy large, stable and common populations of snakes, all so someone could feel that warm fuzzy feeling?

I have no drama's with people taking compassion for injured or hurt wildlife - it is the releasing them part that is the problem.

Cheers

Then could this be a problem with all rehab animals now?..the chances of introducing illness and what not to their wild cousins ,when re introduced back to where they came from or near enough ? ...or is this just a main problem for the reptiles only?

G'day guys,

Cheers

I agree with this statement mostly.

But if anyone thinks wildlife rehab is full of fuzzy feelings then you probably have never done it. To be practical is the key and a lot of injured wildlife doesn't get released for these exact reasons as you mention here. Hence the term wildlife carer. For a lot of animals its not a life as they would prefer but its still a life. Some of these animals go on to be healthy units that breed, and the young produced can then inject more genetic diversity into the captive side of things. This is an adult python so its obviously made of the right stuff or it wouldn't have made it this far.
I find it odd that knowing these facts about viruses that some people pm others about breeding loans when these viruses exist. We can't have it both ways...

Shooshoo the f10 bath is a one off. They don't need regular bathing. You have to seriously consider this animal. Help it as much as possible but quarantine is a high priority , so that no cross contamination occurs. Part of my job is finding carers for animals like this.

Theres always going to be arguements for and against this stuff. We need to put these aside and evaluate the individual circumstances from a higher,practical level/ veiwpoint free of emotion.

On the up side, snakes heal quite quickly and easily when given a chance.

Then could this be a problem with all rehab animals now?..the chances of introducing illness and what not to their wild cousins ,when re introduced back to where they came from or near enough ? ...or is this just a main problem for the reptiles only?

This has always been the problem. Even some vets don't realise this and risk of cross contamination from a vets cage which held dogs, cats etc gets a possum or a lacie put in it.
True wildlife rehab should be a course at uni...... but guess what? Thats right ... theres no money in it.

So the wildlife gets the she'll be right treatment, while the cats and rabbits get treated better then humans.

Very good point Jonno, but if the animal is effectively quarantined as all animals being rehabilitated should, cross contamination from captive animals should be negated.

G'day mate,

How can you quarantine against something that they don't know how it's transmitted? The best vets in Australia still have very limited knowledge on how this group of viruses work...

G'day guys,

Cheers

I couldn't agree with your statement more Jonno,
The survival of the species is far more important than a single specimen.

Its one of those debates that seems your damn'd if you do and damn'd if ya dont .....hard call
can see both sides of the coin here ....

G'day mate,

How can you quarantine against something that they don't know how it's transmitted? The best vets in Australia still have very limited knowledge on how this group of viruses work...

This is a good question, I guess you would assume it could be airbourne, remain contagious on unsterilised surfaces, clothes, hands etc. and be carried by snakes that show no symptoms or even other animals. What do you tell others to do when relocating?

To top it all off, Just picked up a Rainbow Lorikeet off a roundabout in Goodna yesterday. Looks like it had also been hit by a car seeing as its condition deteriorated overnight. Couldn't see any obvious external damage to wings or legs, but it couldn't stand up properly. Just handed him over to a vet now.

I agree with you Jonno, but the point of difference in today's world is that humans add to an unsustainable level of wildlife fatalities over and above nature's normal level of balance.

On that factor alone, animal care and rehabilitation is justified in my opinion.

Car strikes, feral cat attacks, habitat destruction and intentional human interference isn't part of natures way.

Regards,

we kill plenty of things, its nice to restore a little bit of balance,though we will never make up for the selfishness of the human race. we are the worst parisites of our planet, wildlife,sea and forest,we should all be culled,its probley the only way to save whats left,extreme as it maybe.

sooo... these were taken a few days ago, show the wounds at the vent site and further down the remains of the abcess. getting new pics tomorrow, hopefully will see and improvement. if so, then its time for a feed, if not, then its time for another bath and a clean!

sorry about the quality of the second one, just to show his size a bit, my camera ain't that flash! :p

Attachments

• jan 2010 2 049.jpg
    jan 2010 2 049.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 79
  • jan 2010 2 047.jpg
    jan 2010 2 047.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back