WILD python NEED HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To top it all off, Just picked up a Rainbow Lorikeet off a roundabout in Goodna yesterday. Looks like it had also been hit by a car seeing as its condition deteriorated overnight. Couldn't see any obvious external damage to wings or legs, but it couldn't stand up properly. Just handed him over to a vet now.

I've been told by a member on here who owns a lorikeet that there's a disease they get that turns them paralised and it's incurable. He told e about it after I mentioned a wild on that I cared for after a neighbour brought it to me. If you wanna know more I can probably PM you the guys username.

i believe the disease they may be talking about is other wise known as beak and feather.
is contagious in most all parrots i believe. even if you have birds in an out side av aviary and a bird with beak and feather lands on it then it can contract it.

Once it has beak and feather nothing you can really do bout it

Shoo shoo, I wouldnt keep bathing it ,as long as your keeping it on clean paper and using an antiB (did you try the powder?) Keeping it dry , would be better for it ...

yup all healing nicely now, not more baths needed after the first two too get rid of the feral stuff. passed his first meal nicely with no problems. guess we'll wait for him to shed to check it all comes off okay then let him back out into the big wide world!

in regards the lorikeet it didnt have beak and feather, it lost all motor control soon after we left it at the vet and died shortly after. nurse told us it had bleeding on the brain so must have been hit by a car, poor thing.

What an interesting thread that well and truly got away from the actual care of the snake..... ah well...

I was struck with a similar problem last week on my drive from Darwin to Townsville - 50km south of Townsville I noticed a large Frillneck (bit over 2foot) on the side of the road. I stopped, turned around and went back to it to take some photos. As I was taking photos a truck drove past and all the frilly did was flare up and turn around in a circle. Odd behaviour I thought so I got out of the car and crossed over to it - it flared up at me (like, duh) and I noticed it had blood on the side of its' head. It must have been swiped by a car. Not very natural.......

I was in 2 minds as to what to do with the poor thing but in the end I picked it up and carried it well away from the road into the underbush and released it. Hopefully it'll recover from the injury and shock. My car was full of my possessions from the move and the only suitable enclosure I had was the one that my own NT Frilly was in and there was no way I was putting the 2 together! So I had to resort to nature. If the car was empty and my Frilly wasnt with me it would have been a totally different story.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in and add my support :)

om nom nom nom nom! good signs!

Attachments

• late jan 2010 020.jpg
    late jan 2010 020.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 32
Cool, should pair it up with another local one and start a line of pure Indooroopilly carpets :)

Just a question...would you all do the same thing if it was a human child...? Or a bum off the streets that needed some help..? Or should we just stop trying to look for a cure for cancer as thats natures way of geting rid of the weak....?

Its a living, breathing thing...and I would be doing everything in my power to help it...and it might just be grateful for the help.

Cris, there are so many of the buggers around here i reckon they've got the purity thing down pat! Some really stunners have come by here lately too. Say one last year that was absolutely orange, pink/orange/cream without a spot of black on it. I see adds on here for 'hypo' coastals and frankly i just laugh after seeing that wild one. crazy stuff. then we see ones with such clarity of their markings, brights cream patterning over dark grey and black bodies, stunning. only seen two that were kind of mottled/messy looking, the rest have been rippers! we frequently here out roof groaning and shuffling up there when they're moving around. plenty of sheds/poops and old hatchy skeletons too. :) my house is a haven for the reptiles and im proud of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back