wildlife demonstration licence revoked

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
haha ive been blocked from his fb and utube acc's. i had fun while it lasted.

So here is something I never thought I would say

Go the beauracrats!

been looking at his sites and i have to ask, if chuck norris and ray got into a fight who would win?

Ray of course allow apparently chuck norris doesnt actually breath he just holds air hostage. Id like to see chucky go to town on Ray.

I was watching in awe of him one evening........ gobble down an entire iceberg lettuce (without even a hint of Italian salad dressing) up the back of a Victorian Herpetological Society meeting :)

Quite frankly I think he'd rattled one too many cages and pushed a few too many buttons with the DSE. They decided to bite back, and hard. He only has himself to blame. Such an UN-humble character.

I was watching in awe of him one evening........ gobble down an entire iceberg lettuce (without even a hint of Italian salad dressing) up the back of a Victorian Herpetological Society meeting :)

You once mentioned someone ate a lettuce at a VHS meeting. I had no idea it was HWMNBN.

At the count of three I want you to scream out

Only with snake busters at the count of three – a de-venomised snake is always de-venomised.

Serious?? What a turkey! :lol: Some pretty damning stuff in that link. Interesting read Mister_Snakes. Thanks ;)

I do suggest you read the entire finding but here are some of what I think are the most relevant points. My additions/comments are in italics andI have marked the important point in bold
  1. Applicant = RH
  2. Respondent = The Department of Sustainability and Environment
  3. Two decisions affirmed
    1. 16 August 2011, to suspend the following Licences, Authorisations and Approval
      1. Commercial Wildlife (Wildlife Demonstrator) Licence (No.12720671)
      2. Wildlife Controller Licence Type 2 (No.12387349)
      3. Authorisations issued under s 28A of the Wildlife Act 1975 to conduct venomous snake handling courses
      4. Approval to use wildlife held under Wildlife Licence in a television production
    2. 23 September 2011, to cancel, with effect from 16 November 2011, the following Licence, Authorisation and Approval
      1. Commercial Wildlife (Wildlife Demonstrator) Licence (No.12720671)
      2. Authorisations issued under s 28A of the Wildlife Act 1975 to conduct venomous snake handling courses
      3. Approval to use wildlife held under Wildlife Licence in a television production
    3. This means all commercial licenses are now cancelled with the exception of the relocation license, which is suspended for 90 days
    4. A licence may be cancelled if
      1. the holder has been found guilty of an offence against the act
      2. the holder has breached a condition of the licence
    5. ​the respondent submitted
      1. The Applicant having been convicted of offences under the Wildlife Act
      2. The further breach of Licence conditions depicted in a demonstration at the Melton Shopping Centre on 7 July 2011 ( this is the bite demonstration )
    6. The conditions attaching to all Wildlife Demonstrator Licences [including the Applicant’s] were revised with effect from 30 June 2007
      1. Possession and demonstration of wildlife under this licence must be conducted in a manner and proximity which minimises the risk of wildlife escaping or being stolen, stressed or injured in any way.
      2. venomous snakes (whether or not the individual specimen is capable of a venomous bite) must not under any circumstances be handled or touched by any person other than the holder of this licence or their licensed assistant without prior written approval of the secretary
      3. possession and demonstration of wildlife under this licence must be conducted in a manner and proximity which minimises the risk of any injury to any person. Where venomous snakes (elapids) are involved, the demonstration must not be conducted closer than 3 m to the audience, except where the licence holder is working in a pit which ensure that members of the public cannot approach, touch or handle the snakes. (there was disagreement as to what constitutes a pit)
      4. where venomous snakes (elapids) are involved, only one venomous snake may be demonstrated at a time and all other venomous snakes (elapids) not being demonstrated must be confined to secure enclosures constructed to prevent escape, injury to the public and access by unauthorised persons, except where the licence holder is working in a pit which ensures that members of the public cannot approach, touch or handle the snakes.
    7. The Applicant agreed he has been very familiar with these conditions since their imposition. However, he objected to them.
    8. On 31 January 2008, the Applicant applied to vary the Licence conditions, [specifically 6.2, 6.3, 6.4]. This was refused
    9. On or about 24 May 2010, the Applicant was charged with 13 charges to breaches of the Applicant’s Wildlife Demonstrator Licence [in particular 6.2, 6.3, 6.4]
    10. the Applicant was found guilty of all 13 charges and convicted and sentenced to pay an aggregate fine of $8,000.00 and ordered to pay legal costs of $21,081.95. (the 95 cents must have hurt!)
    11. On 7 July 2011, the Applicant conducted a wildlife demonstration at Melton Shopping Centre where he caused two elapid snakes to bite his 12-year-old daughter. This matter is currently under investigation.
    12. On 4 August 2011, the Applicant appealed, he ultimately pleaded guilty to 9 breaches and fined the Applicant $4,000 and ordered him to pay legal costs of $8,000.00. ( I thnk the aggregate fine in point 10 was dropped and replaced with it fine - Correct me please)
Notable Quotes from the transcript
  1. From the Melton demonstration 7 July 2011
    1. If you get bitten by these you are dead in 20 minutes
    2. we have a permit for this by the way
    3. rival operator who is trying to undermine us is saying that our snakes have regenerated venom. Which is not possible
    4. Only with snake busters at the count of three – a de-venomised snake is always de-venomised.
  2. From Channel 9 program A Current Affair
    1. I had to grab the snakes by the neck, squeeze them and make them bite her.
    2. We have been victimised because we are successful its that simple
  3. From the evidence submitted in the Tribunal
    1. has published extensively, although he did not provide any details of such publications.
    2. he is widely cited, including articles concerning the performance of his surgery. Again, there were no details provided in support of these claims.
  4. Venomoid Surgery
    1. He could not recall precisely how many venomoid snakes he currently uses in his demonstrations :shock:
    2. The snake is ‘knocked out’ by Cold Torpor [lowering its body temperature], with the advantage of there being little or no bleeding; and no pain to the snake:shock:
  5. On credibility
    1. Mr Mirtschin gave evidence for the Respondent at the 2008 Tribunal Hearing. The Applicant claimed that Mr Mirtschin subsequently retracted his evidence by e-mail to him. However, the Applicant did not produce the subject e-mail
    2. The Applicant claimed that Dr Zelesco had tested his elapid snakes and certified them as de-venomised and safe. In his Witness Statement, Dr Zelesco states
      1. I have never advised Mr Hoser in writing or verbally that his de venomised snakes are completely safe.
      2. I have never advised Mr Hoser in writing or verbally that the removed venom gland tissue will not regenerate under any circumstances
      3. I have never advised Mr Hoser in writing or verbally that there is no risk to Mr Hoser, his assistants or the general public (including children) associated with potential bites from the ‘devenomised’ snakes
      4. I have never certified, signed off or approved Mr Hoser’s ‘devenomised’ snakes as safe.
  6. ANALYSIS AND FINDINGS
    1. The Applicant was a difficult witness. Despite the valiant efforts of his experienced Counsel to keep him within the bounds of relevancy, he would frequently digress into irrelevant material and often quite scandalous allegations aimed at his competitors and staff of the Respondent
    2. the Applicant was an unreliable witness who displayed little regard for the truth. Throughout the course of the hearing he made quite scandalous allegations, as detailed above, none of which were objectively verified.
    3. he demonstrated a tenuous understanding of his responsibilities under the Wildlife Demonstrators Licence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back