Wildlife of the South West - Some Photos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
When I have the spare time and weather's permitting I've been doing a fair bit of wild-flowering. I'm still going through the photos and identifying species, but here's a few samples. The fact that the south-west has been named a global diversity hot spot makes identifying species a little difficult. Let me know if you wish to see more. Most of these photos are of native flora. They're not reptiles unfortunately, but I find the plants that comprise the ecosystems in which the reptiles come from to be just as interesting and beautiful!

bush1aps.jpg
flatsaps.jpg
Two different habitats within the same nature reserve.

davisia cordataaps.jpg
Daviesia cordata.

kennedia coccineaaps.jpg
Kennedia coccinea.

bluebellvineaps.jpg
Billardiera heterophylla or Sollya heterophylla. This species produces edible fruits. Most people dislike the taste, but I don't mind them.

bossiea linophyllaaps.jpg
Bossiaea linophylla.

Daviesia incrassata aps.jpg
Daviesia incrassata.

acaciapaintflickraps.jpg
Acacia pulchella.

leucopogonaps.jpg
Leucopogon verticillatus.

conostylisaps.jpg
Conostylis setigera.

And below are some shots of native fauna.

blue wren flickraps.jpg
Splendid Fairy-wren (Malurus splendens). This male is in the process of acquiring his truly splendid breeding plumage. This photo was not taken in the bush.

skinktreepaintaps1.jpg
South-western Crevice Skink (Egernia napoleonis). This individual's a fairly good climber considering it only had three legs.

creviceskink2paintaps1.jpg
South-western Crevice Skink (Egernia napoleonis).

The fairy-wren is a good catch Kayla.
Little birds are always super quick and gone before I ever get the camera together. (As always) Would like to see more when you get the chance

Great photos @Oshkii. If you're interest in an excuse to get out into the bush in Western Australia, there is a bio blitz coming up out at York? Its run by the Wheatbelt NRM and involves a bit of fauna work and botanical stuff. Details are at http://wheatbeltnrm.org.au/bioblitz17 .

I haven't been to one personally, but I've heard they can be pretty good. They have experienced zoologists and botanist so yoy can always pick there brains to learn stuff.

Great photos @Oshkii. If you're interest in an excuse to get out into the bush in Western Australia, there is a bio blitz coming up out at York? Its run by the Wheatbelt NRM and involves a bit of fauna work and botanical stuff. Details are at http://wheatbeltnrm.org.au/bioblitz17 .

I haven't been to one personally, but I've heard they can be pretty good. They have experienced zoologists and botanist so yoy can always pick there brains to learn stuff.

Thanks BrownHash. I'll have a look into it. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

A bit overdue, but here's some more photos. Starting to see some reptile activity now.

bushapse.jpg
swampaps.jpg
paperbarkswampaps.jpg
Some more habitats within the same nature reserve.

bluefloweraps1.jpg
Dampiera alata.

bluesmokebushaps.jpg
Conospermum caeruleum.

isopogonformosusaps.jpg
Isopogon formosus.

orangepeaps.jpg
Gompholobium ovatum.

spiderorchidaps.jpg
White Spider Orchid (Caladenia longicauda). One of the more common orchids to be found. For the orchid fans, I have a few more species that I've photographed, just haven't gone through them yet.

bobtailaps.jpg
Bobtail Lizard (Tiliqua rugosa ssp rugosa).

bobtailfaps.jpg
Bobtail Lizard (Tiliqua rugosa ssp rugosa).

bluewrenaps.jpg
Splendid Fairy-wren (Malurus splendens). Almost a true blue.

goshawkaps.jpg
Brown Goshawk (Accipiter fasciatus). This cheeky fella occasionally attempts to prey on my quail. Thankfully he can't get to them. First time he didn't take off when I came out with the camera.

Another beautiful set of photos really well done! Thanks Oshkii.

I was over east one time trying to get my twin sister’s Lovebird to eat through the wire of its cage. Next second a Brown Goshawk landed less than half a metre away, eyes fixed on the Lovebird. When I turned my head to see it, it looked at me and just sat there. After half a minute or so I shooed it off. Amazing how brazen they can be if they think there is a meal to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back