wildlife rescue animals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrahminyKite.jpg

That's the one Brahminy kite

No i'm just giving some advise for the benefit of the animal, having strangers around at release is very stressful and thats most likely why she's up there. Hence my comment.

I took care of a Brahminy once that would attack anything yellow, even after we released her and she decided to set up a territory around our house (when we had a fair bit of land beside a river) we couldnt leave anything small and yellow sitting around, or she'd bugger off with it, LOL

That is awesome! Would make it easy to get one feeding then, just give it a chick or duckling.

No probs, if you need advice on that raptor i'm experienced with them as well :lol:

To get a permit to rehabilitate raptors i need to do an acredited course in raptor husbandry and we have no one up here that does that course. So basically i wont ever need advice cause i wont ever be able to care for them unless i can get special permission from parks and wild life, which i don't see happening. Which is a real shame because the facilities at most vet clinics just aren't upto scratch (imo) for large birds of prey that are getting close to their release dates.

That is awesome! Would make it easy to get one feeding then, just give it a chick or duckling.

hmmm, lol, the bird was a little bit 'burko'. The yellow craziness was funny for a while till we started losing random things like citronella candels, etc, and we literally couldnt have anything yellow outside that wasnt tied down.

We taught it to hunt by live-trapping sparrows, myna's, house-mice, etc, and releasing them into its enclosure (which was friggin huge) and got it taking fish out of a large fish pond in its enclosure (which, yeah, later equated to nothing bigger than a guppy surviving in our backyard pond, LOL, :rolleyes:).

It was a fun 'project', but that bird was fully insane. :lol: (yellow baseball caps were a BIG no-no:shock:)

From memory, about 25m by 30m, and between 5-7m tall. Pretty damn big, made an awsome planted aviary, absolutely unreal.

What a beautiful bird! Where can you do an accredited course in Raptor Husbandry?

Being in SA I've really got no idea....some other on here will no doubt help you out.
Just remember, usually when you get them, they've been hit by a car or had a fishhook in them, are very pissed-off, and are more than a handfull, especially some of the bigger raptors (unless they're in shock, then there very calm, but shock can kill very easily). I got offered a wedgetail once that I turned down and passed on to a lady with much more experiance. In 3 days it was good as gold (it got pulled down in the slipstream of a semitrailer, not hit though), but If it had needed anything other than a bit of restbite it would have been a serious 'challenge', LOL.

True, thats why I like 'em :D

Same. At first i wasn't real keen on looking after them, but then i kind of had a tawy frog mouth forced on me and it was awesome. Hard but manageable work and very rewarding when it all goes well.

What a beautiful bird! Where can you do an accredited course in Raptor Husbandry?
Probably not that common due to the heavy restrictions in place around the country. If you are a registered wildlife carer you can go through the motions but it's still very difficult to get authority. For starters you'll need a few years experience rehabbing birds, huge shadecloth lined aviaries, hospital boxes and plenty of food ......... oh and a tetanus shot (you'll be needing it)

Probably not that common due to the heavy restrictions in place around the country. If you are a registered wildlife carer you can go through the motions but it's still very difficult to get authority. For starters you'll need a few years experience rehabbing birds, huge shadecloth lined aviaries, hospital boxes and plenty of food ......... oh and a tetanus shot (you'll be needing it)

Thanks. I looked into it years ago, and I know you have to have the right facilities to house them, and it's pretty huge. I still would like to know wherre you can do the course, I don't care if it's not in SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back